Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Seat Material

Leather, Tolex or Russaloid. Linoleum or black rubber matting. If it's in the cockpit or in the cabin, post your questions and answers here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

mbigpops

Seat Material

Post by mbigpops » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:04 pm

I was given a substantial roll of vinyl material when I purchased my boat and I am finally getting around to having the seat backs and cushions re-upholstered.

I brought the roll to my upholster and he said the material did not have the usual batting on the back that he is used to seeing on marine vinyl that he deals with. There is no marking on the material and the previous owner could not verify the source.

At this point I am leering of using this material as I have no idea of the qualities for water and sun exposure.

My hull card calls for Tolex Red for the seats.

My upholsterer has several books of marine grade vinyl material. Should I just have him pick the closest red to the Al Benton color swatch or is there a known source for this color in marine material ?

Thanks

Mark
1953 CC Rocket Runabout "Rocket Man"

jim g

Re: Seat Material

Post by jim g » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:25 am

Back then all the vinyl was the same. There was no marine grade vinyl. Tolex was the brand.

boatmanscm

Post by boatmanscm » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:06 am

I am with Jim . The original vinyl was plain non expanded vinyl. Much thinner than todays expanded vinyls. Been doing upholstery for 40 plus years and it you cover and keep clean it will last longer than vinyls made today.
Is there any stamped print on back cloth of vinyl. as a rule American made vinyl has this feature.
UPLOAD PICTURE AND LETS SEE THE VINYL. MIGHT BE ABLE TO TELL BY BACKING CLOTH.
Good luck
Stanley Marshall CUSTOM UPHOLSTER ,
Over 100 boats , @[email protected]

mbigpops

Post by mbigpops » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:27 am

Seat Material 2.jpg
Stanley,

There is no marking whatsoever on the backing of the material. I unraveled a couple yards just to make sure.

The color looks good to me and I am seriously considering going with what I have.

Here is a photo of the material with some of the backing showing.

boatmanscm

Post by boatmanscm » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:51 pm

The picture looks like a Twlight 56-Crous . it is made by naugahyde a good maker. You can look on line at Burch Fabrics Group, their hospitality /resi/healthcare/marine/recreation vehicles.

The page is vin24 .
do not use on floor. should work well on any seats. They are very nice and will send a cut samples to you. I would ask for a sample to compare face and backs.
You can not purchase unless a retail number .But any shop can do that once you find color.
OR JUST CALL UPHOLSTERY SHOPS AND SEE IF THEY CARRY BURCH FABRIC VINYLS, CHANCES ARE THEY WILL HAVE A CHART YOU CAN COMPARE.
[email protected]
Stanley Marshall CUSTOM UPHOLSTER ,
Over 100 boats , @[email protected]

mbigpops

Post by mbigpops » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:42 am

Thanks again Stanley.

My floors are bare wood so there is no issue with material.

Merry Christmas !