Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Corsair XL 175

Are you in need of information regarding "the way it was?" Or are you are a walking "who's-who" of Chris-Craft fiberglass boats? Share what you don't know—or do know here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

dwhoover

Corsair XL 175

Post by dwhoover » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:42 am

Rather than try to maintain 2 separate postings for hull and engine, I will post here as I bring life back to this old girl.

Where to begin? She arrived Tuesday afternoon. I used Nauti Bouy Marine as the shipper and I must say they did a wonderful job. I would definitely use them again.

Unfortunately, I can not find a HIN anywhere. I looked closely all around the boat just under the rub rail and no stamped numbers there. Nothing on the inside of the transom either. I looked under the dash and as far as I could see under the bow. I'll keep looking.

The engine and "Transdrive" appear to be original. Engine casting # C4OE 6015B with the date 4D23. From my research this translates to 1964 260 cid built April 23rd, 1964. The automotive Holley 4bbl sitting on the Eidlebrock Performer aluminum intake are, of course, a PO addition. I'll keep the intake but am looking for a replacement carb (suggestions anyone?).

The Eaton "Transdrive" is the most interesting and challenging aspect. The lower yoke section has a casting which holds the reverse lockout mechanism. This has been sheard off and the mechanism is gone. I believe that some of the linkage is in among the bits and pieces in one of the storage compartments. Additionally, the bellows is torn and the trim fin is missing. These drives and their associated parts are scarce as hen’s teeth, but Earl at Marine Sales is checking on these parts for me.

The interior is in very good shape, but I suspect not very original. There is no gunnel storage compartments such as are shown in the 1965 scans we've seen. There is a full width bench in the rear which is well constructed and would appear to be original, but I have not seen this type of seating in any pictures of other XL 175s, so I'm unsure as to weather this is original. Both the bow section as well as the engine hatch are covered in a grey vinyl. Both are in very good condition save 1 tear in the engine cover section.

Would this be original?

The hull does have a blister problem. It is the very small "pimple" kind and it is fairly wide spread. Because it is sitting on a trailer, it is hard to say how extensive the problem is. I'm inclined to ignore it. The boat will be a trailer based boat for now so the hull will be mostly dry. Additionally, most blister repairs make matters worse according to the ranting’s of Mr. Pasco so I think I'll leave well enough alone.

Other issues are a starter which I suspect is automotive, a dead battery, no bilge blower, a bilge pump which appears to be original as well as a broken stern/anchor light. All in all I am well pleased with this boat. If I can find the parts to keep the Transdrive in good shape, the rest will be fairly standard.

I will get into details with pictures on subsequent posts.

David W. Hoover
David W. Hoover