Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

1964 Corsair with I/O drive- need guidance

Are you in need of information regarding "the way it was?" Or are you are a walking "who's-who" of Chris-Craft fiberglass boats? Share what you don't know—or do know here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Episode VI

1964 Corsair with I/O drive- need guidance

Post by Episode VI » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:00 am

Hi all. I'm a new member searching for info that might help me in my efforts to restore a recently purchased 1964 Corsair (hull #ORAZ 16 6040N) with an OMC I/O drive (#W28599, model SU 13E) mated to a GM 4cyl block (#3849449 CON F234)with dual carbs. It came with a Holsclaw Trailer (model C-1700, stamped ser #OMM689 4/70)also in very good condition.

BetsyS Corsair from a previous posting looks quite a bit like mine except that I've got in I/O motor.

I presume that BetsyS has since found her hull i.d. I too first assumed that my hull number would be stamped on the hull stern, aft or perhaps (scrawled or plaque) inside the hull toward the bow. After much crawling around though I found it stamped vertically in the gel-coat on the outside of the hull at the top of the bow just under the deck rail within the narrow front edge of the bow (not to port or starboard).

If anyone could help me with some history for this boat I would be grateful. I'd like to make it historically correct. I purchased it from an elderly woman in Saco Maine who said it was her deceased husband's boat on nearby lake. It has not been used since 1995. I'm about to replace fluids/clean and give a try to start. The interior is somewhat tired with interior trim/coamings faded. Unfortunately the previous owner hacked the hull interior/exterior somewhat with the installation of radio, antenna, engine compartment blower vent, fins at stern (for better handling response?). Gel coat is quite good with some hairline cracks underside and at transom around motor mount brackets. Rub rails are hard and quite dry. One windshield glass section was broken when the previous owner had it moved. Plexiglas side panels are discolored. The interior floor was covered with cheap outdoor carpeting which I just removed. The center of the floor has a spot with flex to it that I would like to eliminate if possible. The floor appears to be fiberglass with a gel coat finish. I'm desparately in need of a fitted cover for weather protection. I love the top on BetsyS Corsair which perhaps is historically correct for my boat too? I've been warned that parts for the outdrive are impossible since OMC is dead. Where to turn if parts required? I'm quite concerned about the rubber diaphram used at the stern splitting when I start to use it. It appears to be in good condition but.....I cannot be too sure and want no surprises when I'm out there with little kids aboard. The seat upholstery is not original. We would like to add a rearward looking seat to the driver seat so that our whole family can sit.

Thanks,

Episode VI

R_Maclay

Post by R_Maclay » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:52 pm

Nice SunLounger,

I replaced my outdrive lift motor with a new one from Sierra, the original owners son saw it and was amazed to see it lift out of the water, first comment, the boat had steroids, lol

You have a rare motor at that, hopefully your parts search brings you success, Out here in NorCalifornia there is a boat junkyard in Sacramento and I hear another down near Stockton, CA

Mac
1965 SunLounger