Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

rabbits

This is a general discussion area for those who are interested in Chris-Craft's connection with Gar Wood, the man, and the Company.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

mattbyrne

rabbits

Post by mattbyrne » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:02 pm

I made a jig and used my router. Left the rabbit with round corners and rounded batten to fit.

What mopdel Gar are you working on?

cenger

Post by cenger » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:58 am

I have a 1935 16-35 Split Cockpit. Have all new frames, chines stem gripe and keel installed. Last step before I can re-plank the bottom is to get these secondary frames in. Thank you for the photos it is very helpful.

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:19 am

Here's a shot of my 1936 Utility. Similar to Matt's, rounded on one end.

Bill Basler

mogar

Rabbits & Wine Stems

Post by mogar » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:40 pm

Although Matt's boat is finished I would like to point out that on all the pre war GWs the hull side planking rabbit is vertical along the whole chine. Doing tha rabbit with the chine off is relatively easy with a router. I have done it to two boats now.
The intermediate supports scdrewed to the longitudinals are a key feature found only on GWs. Reproducing these guys is tedious. They are shaped like a wine glass with no base, just a long stem, with the cup end screwed to the longitudinals.
If the stems are left long enough a couple battens layed over the frames can be used to support a router set to the depth of the support battens plus the intermediate support batten thickness between the keel and chine will get the correct shape & depth of the intermediate supports.
Have fun Guys!