Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Seminars

Where do you like to visit? Who has the best show venue? How about the best funnel cakes? Ask your questions and get the answers from our worldwide network of experts.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

Mark Christensen

Seminars

Post by Mark Christensen » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:38 pm

Does anybody know of any seminars coming up this year? It's so hard to search across the various clubs and networks to try and find variuos learning seminars. I know Don Danenberg did one on steam bending last year sometime. If I would have known about it I would have for sure gone! And I know there is one on gauges up at in the BSLOL area.

Mark
1961 24' Chris Craft Sportsman - CUA-24-0007C
1940's Homebuilt 14' Racing Hydroplane

Oberon01

Post by Oberon01 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:15 pm

Hi Mark -

Might be too far for you to travel, but the ACBS is having a spring symposium at Seattle. There are a number of interesting topics and speakers lined on a variety of subject and issues. There is a link on the ACBS site and if you poke around, you can find a list of all the different events such

Wood Commander

Post by Wood Commander » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:44 am

The Seattle event is being produced by our Pacific Northwest Chapter of the Antique and Classic Boat Society.

"The Wet Edge" International Motorboating Symposium is being held on April 24th-26th 2009 at The Center for Wooden Boats and the old Naval Reserve Armory (now under the jurisdiction of the Seattle Parks Department)at South Lake Union Park, and can be researched at- thewetedge.com.

This is an ever- evolving web site with symposium information and online registration forms found within. We are planning a great event with topics such as instrument and guage restoration, Chris Craft Cruiser and Chris Craft powerplant discussions, varnishing and brightwork methods, hardware rechroming, wood selection and application in restoration, classic boat valuation and market trends and much, much more items of Chris Craft interest, as well as talking about some of the famous Northwest designers, the vintage hydroplane and raceboat scene and some local Northwest maritime history as well.

There is a presentation at The Hydroplane and Raceboat Museum Thursday evening, a Dinner cruise on Friday evening and a Salmon Dinner on Saturday evening as well as boat rides on chapter members classic and antique Chris Craft cruisers from The Center for Wooden Boats docks right next to the symposium site.

I will posting more information under the new Shows, Museums and Events heading as time goes on.

I hope everyone will check out thewetedge.com and see the exciting things we have planned for the event.
Bret

1953 35' Commander "Adonis III"

1970 23' lancer project

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:33 pm

Bret;

I found it of particular interest that the Chris Craft Antique Boat Club was not asked to participate in this event. You would think that with all the CC discussions etc that they would have thought of us?

Hmmmm.....
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:43 pm

I would sure like to see us put on our own someday. All things and subjects Chris Craft and connections.
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

Mark Christensen

Post by Mark Christensen » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:44 pm

Oh for sure. Wiring techniques, staining, bottoms, hardware (basically all the things in front of me).... that's just skimming the surface. I'm thinking Cedar Rapids Iowa?.....

Wood Commander

Post by Wood Commander » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:40 pm

Don, I actually wasn't quite ready with my presentation concerning "The Wet Edge" for the Boat Buzz yet. I am still trying to get a more thorough blurb together for us here in the Chris Craft Antique Boat Club and on Boat Buzz.

And one of the things I wasn't totally prepared to do yet was mention the fact that our own Bill Bassler is most likely going to be one of our guest speakers. I actually had a call in today for our very busy Mr. B to discuss a few things related to The Wet Edge, but we did not connect.

The Wet Edge is going to be covering, among other things, Chris Craft Cruisers, and will have a tie- in of boat rides on our ACBS- Pacific Northwest Chapter Member's cruisers as one of the attractions.
But if you would like to join one of our panels, I would be happy to report that to our symposium committee.

More to come later!
Bret

1953 35' Commander "Adonis III"

1970 23' lancer project

Dick Dow

ACBS Symposium

Post by Dick Dow » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:37 pm

To back up Bret and his efforts on behalf of the symposium here in Seattle in April, I started discussing this with Bill last year at Mt. Dora as we were in the initial stages of creating the event.

Inclusion of personnel, resources and participation from this club has been very much a part of the plan from the beginning.

One of the exciting things that we have in Seattle is the legacy of what was at one time the largest Chris Craft dealership in the world, Bryant's Marina. As we are in a year-round boating environment with a mild climate, there are wooden Chris cruisers in nearly every marina - some regularly used, some not at all, but examples of many models are moored under cover all around the lake. We're going to discuss that part of the Chris Craft heritage, go for rides on some examples, and look at others.

At these events in the past, many discussions have been centered on runabout restoration and techniques. While those subjects make up a good portion of the symposium, we are giving GarWood, Hacker, Century and Chris Craft runabouts a rest as far as specific discussion/analysis goes, partially because it has been so well covered in the past, and because of the ongoing excellence of The Brass Bell, CCABC and others in covering those topics.

So we are taking a somewhat different tack, emphasizing the unique contributions of the Northwest to boating, the tremendous cruising and racing history represented and still active here, along with some "nuts and bolts" topics - Chrome, wood selection, instrument restoration and engines.

I think we have put together a program that will appeal to many boaters regardless of experience and interests.

There is no membership requirement to participate.

The final schedule should be posted shortly on 'thewetedge.com', as well as speaker bios and session outlines and we have a great resource put together for those attending who would rather experience Seattle while their significant other is attending the symposium.

We look forward to seeing many of you here April 23-26!

Dick Dow
President, ACBS-PNW

Mark Christensen

Post by Mark Christensen » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:49 pm

I'll be attending this event. Any other CCABC members going to be there?

Mark

Oberon01

Post by Oberon01 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:24 pm

Yes, my wife and I will both be attending.

mrb engine

BOAT SHOWS

Post by mrb engine » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:06 pm

THE BIG BOAT SHOW... IS AT TAVARES THE 25TH OF MAR. COME SEE US. MR B .
Mr. B's Engine
281-574-4537

Don Vogt
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Vogt » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:32 pm

Many of us who are members of the pnw chapter of acbs are also members of the ccabc, and we will be there. I think there will be lots of items of interest for cc oriented people. :D

Reginald Down

Post by Reginald Down » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:52 am

Yes, I will be attending the symposium in Seattle.
Reg Down

Wilson Wright

NWP Rendezvous

Post by Wilson Wright » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:09 pm

Dick:

That program sounds quite impressive...Wish it weren't so far away.

Wilson
Wilson Wright
Executive Director Emeritus
Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club