Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Mariners Museum: Newport News

Where do you like to visit? Who has the best show venue? How about the best funnel cakes? Ask your questions and get the answers from our worldwide network of experts.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

snewk41

Mariners Museum: Newport News

Post by snewk41 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:39 pm

My wife & I recently had the chance to visit the Mariners Museum & I thought a brief report for those who have not seen it may be of interest. The museum is very easy to get to, is shown on a Virginia map & is in a beautiful park setting. The building is very impressive & much larger than I had thought. Our visit was on a Sunday, so the Chris Craft research office was closed. In fact, there were only 3 Chris Crafts on display. In spite of the lack of C/C's, the museum was fantastic & way beyond my expectations. I was wearing my Chris Craft Antique Boat Club cap & the guide noticed it at once, telling me he had worked on a buoy tender on the Detroit River & knew all about C/C's. The main display was the Civil War ships Monitor & Merrimack, & they were spectacular!The origional Monitor revolving turrent is there, as well as a lifesize replica of the entire ship, with a partial replica of the Merrimack (Virginia). There were several rooms of ship models which were world class & recognized as such.You could get your picture taken in a Titantic lifeboat with old style life jackets on. A resturant & gift shop were also open. For any of you have the chance to visit the museum, even with young children, don't pass it up. Even without the C/C's on display I would have gone to see it & if I am ever in that part of the country again, I will make another visit. If you love old boats, you will love this place. Make sure you ask for a membership before you buy admission tickets as you can save some $$.

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:03 pm

Scott,

Thanks for the report. It kinda makes you want to start packing. I look forward to my first visit to the museum, maybe this fall.

I'm a member and get their quarterly publication "Ahoy!" and receive e-mail updates regularly as well, all very interesting and informative. Their summer programs are great for nearby folks, too bad we don't live a little closer.

Al

snewk41

Post by snewk41 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:11 pm

Al: I hope you can get there. You are about 100 miles further than I am, not a lot on the grand scale of things. Scott