Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Hessel MI Show

Where do you like to visit? Who has the best show venue? How about the best funnel cakes? Ask your questions and get the answers from our worldwide network of experts.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

Russ Arrand

Post by Russ Arrand » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:06 am

Thanks Kerry for the comments on my boat. We were up for the entire week prior to the show. I usually burn about 100 gals of gas but this year was down to only 65 because of the weather. Some really good boating in the Islands.
Russ Arrand

Ken Miller

Post by Ken Miller » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:59 pm

Kerry Price wrote:.....it pored rain early in the day in Hessel the afternoon opened up a bit and I had a chance to view all of the boats without getting drenched........I want to make a shout out to Russ Arrand and his 1941 22’ utility Blue-By-You. You did a mighty fine job on her restoration.....Here is Russ's pre war.
I have a question, not being the savvy show-goer that many of you are. When you have your boat in the water for the day at these shows and it comes a flood---are you freaking out? Do you just not worry about it and hit the bilge pump after the rain stops? If it can be avoided, boats with five-figure or six-figure restorations should protected from rain? What do the pro's say about this?

Ken Miller
1951 Chris Craft U-22-1705 "Miss Cynthia"

maritimeclassics

Post by maritimeclassics » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:43 am

Russ, nice job. I say let it rain, If the boat (no matter what the cost) can't take the rain it needs to stay in the garage wrapped tightly with bubble wrap.
Family member of Chris Craft founder
Owner of Maritime Classics
http://www.maritimeclassics.com
Ph# 231-486-6148

Restoration Projects:
1936 25' Gar Wood Custom
1947 Ventnor Hydroplane
1957 17' Deluxe Runabout
1948 25' Chris Craft Sportsman Twin
1959 19' Sliver Arrow Hull #75
1929 26' Chris Craft Custom Runabout
1937 25' Chris Craft Custom Runabout

Chad Durren

Post by Chad Durren » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:03 am

My boat was in two shows this summer - rained at both. We got enough water in our bilges for the pumps to kick in.

As long as you dry the boat and all the contents properly, rain poses no real threat. Wipe everything down and then air dry with plenty of circulation. Open up the zippers on your cushions to prevent mildew. Trailering the boat without the cover is a great way to get air flowing through the bilge.

It also helps if every surface (hidden and exposed) of your boat has been covered in CPES, 5200 and varnish.

Boats are supposed to get wet.
1952 CC 18' Sportsman
1969 CC 19' Commander Super Sport