Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Geneva Lakes Boat Show, Lake Geneva, Wisconsin

Where do you like to visit? Who has the best show venue? How about the best funnel cakes? Ask your questions and get the answers from our worldwide network of experts.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

Bill Basler

Geneva Lakes Boat Show, Lake Geneva, Wisconsin

Post by Bill Basler » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:50 am

I am planning on taking part in this show, not so much as an exhibitor, but as a Vendor, presenting our Chris-Craft Antique Boat Show to anyone that wanders by our tent and cares to listen.

We have had pretty good success presenting this club at Tavares, Florida the last few years, and at Tahoe a couple of years ago. Mark Christensen traveled to Hessel this last weekend and will be giving us all a report in an upcoming Brass Bell.

I have attended the Geneva Lakes Boat Show a number of years ago, but this will be the first trip back in awhile.

For those who may not be familiar with the area, Lake Geneva is the playground of Chicago and Milwaukee, being situated less than an hour from each. The lake itself is a deep, rock and sand bottom boat with great clarity. The town of Lake Geneva is beautifully quaint, and the facilities at the Abbey Resort in Fontana, (where the event is located) are top notch.

Put this one on your list for September 25, 26, and 27. If you're wanting to show your boat, get your reservation in now, as there are a limited number of slips available. If you showing up to view, stop by our tent. I would love to meet as many as possible.

For more information see www.genevalakesboatshow.com
Bill Basler

Mark Christensen

Post by Mark Christensen » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:24 pm

Ughh, i can't make it to this one Bill! I'll be up in Green Lake with about 20 friends. If I can help in any way beforehand let me know. I'm less than an hour from there, and I know lots of people on the lake!

Mark
1961 24' Chris Craft Sportsman - CUA-24-0007C
1940's Homebuilt 14' Racing Hydroplane

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:18 am

Sorry you can't make it Mark. It should be a good time.

For those who might be looking for a great late season destination, here are a few of the sights around Lake Geneva. The area is known for its stunning mansions that go back generations. Families such as the Wrigley's, the Schwinn's and the Maytag's have taken up summer residence around the lake with many of the homes still in the family after many generations. There is a huge wooden boat culture on Lake Geneva. For example, there were more Chris-Craft barrelbacks delivered to Lakes Geneva and Delevan than any other lake in the country including Lake Tahoe. Today, there are hundreds of Chris-Crafts, Gar Woods, Hacker, Lymans....man are there a lot of Lymans...Streblows, and a bunch of other makes making their way across the water, while living the good life under covered berths.

Bill Basler

Matt Smith

Post by Matt Smith » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:37 am

I will be there with bill at the tent, broadcasting live on WoodyBoater.com We are atying at the Abby, and from what I can tell they still have room at the inn. There is a special rate and flights are very cheap into Milwaukee. Our rate on the room was.. is .. 169 a night and the flight from DC to Milwaukee was 300 for two round trip. Its cheaper to fly than drive. And actually cheaper to stay at the hotel than it is to saty at home. So join us. We'll all sit around and eaat cheese and drink beer....
1948 25' Chris Craft Sportsman
1937 16' Special Racer
1968 40' Rice Trawler
1968 11' Crab Skiff
2018 Hole in my head

WoodyBoater.com

mattbyrne

Post by mattbyrne » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:30 pm

The show is shaping up to be a great event. The in-water slips are full but we’re working on getting some more to be made available. We have a great variety of boat coming this year. Visit www.GenevaLakesBoatShow.com/entries.aspx to see the list of boats (some with pictures).

The weather for the last couple of weeks has been perfect; we're hoping it continues for the show. The pre-show events still have room for more participants, if you’re interested in participating check out the web site for details.

I'm looking forward to meeting some fellow club members at the show. I'll be running around taking care of business so please come up and introduce yourself.

Matt Byrne
Show Organizer

tom king

Post by tom king » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:02 pm

Amazing pics Bill. It's fun to see how the other side lives. Was wondering though about the canvas boat house covers. They were all green/white striped and even some of them were numbered. I'm guessing that there must be some kind of code or ordinance that dictates the specs for these covers. Out of curiosity, anyone know?

mattbyrne

Post by mattbyrne » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:13 pm

I'm not positive but I think there is an association that dictates what the docks look like. They are made from wood and all have the same design. And yes they are numbered to identify each property. It’s amazing how many woody’s there are on Lake Geneva. There is one company that takes them in and out each year.

Matt Smith

Post by Matt Smith » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:29 pm

We are reporting live today and tomorrow from the Chris Craft tent.You can see images of the show at www.woodyboater.com
1937 16' Special Racer
1968 40' Rice Trawler
1968 11' Crab Skiff
2018 Hole in my head

WoodyBoater.com

drrot

Post by drrot » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:21 pm

The numbers are for the mail boat. It still runs and takes passengers daily weather permitting.

tom king

Post by tom king » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:54 am

Matt Smith wrote:We are reporting live today and tomorrow from the Chris Craft tent.You can see images of the show at www.woodyboater.com
Webcam???

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:55 pm

I just returned (Sunday evening) from the Geneva Lakes Boat Show. Overall it was a great show. I would like to thank members Matt Smith, Mark Christensen, and Ken Swanson for helping out at the tent. Thanks to their volunteerism, I was actually able to slip away for a hour long boat ride in member, Don Taylor's Streblow. After a beautiful tour of the lake, it was back at it until early evening.

Fall is definitely in the air in the midwest, but I have to admit, summer is hanging on as well. It was partly sunny and about 75 on Saturday, sunny and 75 on Sunday, and, as if on cure, the gale force winds (literally) and rain came just as everyone was heading home. Also, kudos to club member and show coordinator Matt Byrne, members Larry and Kathy Lange, and all of the other volunteers in the Blackhawk ACBS chapter.

We had a great time. Pictures to prove it.

Bill Basler

Matt Smith

Post by Matt Smith » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:37 pm

Were we at the same show. These photos are way to nice.. I remember that wedding party.. It was in no way that romantic. In fact I saw you taking that shot.. maybe it was the angle... the camera... it could not possibly have been talent.
1937 16' Special Racer
1968 40' Rice Trawler
1968 11' Crab Skiff
2018 Hole in my head

WoodyBoater.com

mattbyrne

Post by mattbyrne » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:12 am

It was nice to finally meet some of the CC club members at the show. Thanks for coming.

Bill, thanks for coming, setting up the CC club tent and promoting our passion for wooden boats. Also thanks to Matt Smith for posting to WoodyBoats blog through out the weekend

It was announced at Saturday night’s dinner that the 2011 ACBS national show will be held at Lake Geneva. For us guys in the middle of a restoration that only gives you two years to finish.

Chad Durren and LILLY took home a collection of awards including Best Utility Under 21’, Best Chris Craft and Peoples Choice. It’s nice to see that a well restored “ordinary” Sportsman can stand up to those new $300,000 boats being built. Congratulations Chad.

I have updated the show web site with the award winners and the pictures I took through out the weekend, here are the links:
Award Winners:
http://genevalakesboatshow.com/Awards/t ... fault.aspx
Photo Gallery:
http://www.genevalakesboatshow.com/Phot ... fault.aspx
I have also uploaded the video of the boat parade to YouTube. I had to break into 2 files and here are the links:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p9XRJLCoP4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftDVcd4j-wg
The Abbey Resort also posted a YouTube video of the pictures they took through out the weekend. Here is a link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyOl-lvdiro

Ken Miller

Post by Ken Miller » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:12 pm

I found this picture on Matt Smith's blog, was wondering if someone could inform me on these covers. They look to be lightweight, maybe just an overnight cover to protect the interior from the dew? From what are they made?

Thanks in advance, Ken Miller

1951 Chris Craft U-22-1705 "Miss Cynthia"

Matt Smith

Post by Matt Smith » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:17 pm

Those were on the Gage hackers
1937 16' Special Racer
1968 40' Rice Trawler
1968 11' Crab Skiff
2018 Hole in my head

WoodyBoater.com