Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

NEW CRUISES in OLD BOATs- 2010

Where do you like to visit? Who has the best show venue? How about the best funnel cakes? Ask your questions and get the answers from our worldwide network of experts.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

THE RAZZ

NEW CRUISES in OLD BOATs- 2010

Post by THE RAZZ » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:37 pm

Friends-
Here is an invitation for all to suggest different courses around the USA for 100+ MILE CRUISES (MEGA CRUISES). The objective here is to list as many different long cruises 17' runabouts cold reasonably make around the country. Larger runabouts & cruisers, of course, would have greater options.

The NCLT Chapter of the ACBS will host two (2) long cruises in 2010 beginning with the Delta 100 in Califonia, Saturday, May 22, 2010 9am-5pm A no host fun cruise.

The 2010 Delta 100 cruise, will be here on the San Joaquin River and Sacramento River -
DELTA100 fleet-

Last year, Al Benton made a 230-mile cruise on the Mississippi, which could become one of the MEGA CRUISES for 2010.

Ken Miller backgrounded in another thread details for laying out a +100 MILE CRUISE on the Tennessee River.

Every year some trek to Mt Dora from Jacksonville for an early +100 MILE CRUISE.

Two years ago members ran a Mega-Cruise on the Hudson before the National Meeting.

Please suggest your favorite mega or mini cruise here. Perhaps some of us can join others in unfamiliar waters with locals who know the navigation issues.

2007 Lake Tahoe Get Around- NCLT will offer a second -100 MILE cruise Saturday, August 21, 2010 circling Lake Tahoe's shoreline 9am-4pm
GetAround fleet forming up-

1939 Hackercraft- The Thunderbird and wingmen, 2007 Lake Tahoe Get Around

More are better.

Jerry Turney
2010 Delta 100- event chair
2010 Lake Tahoe Get Around- event chair
510 531 8214 or here at The Buzz
i
Last edited by THE RAZZ on Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1942 17' barrelback 71923
1987 21' CC Stinger

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:17 am

Jerry,

Our 230 mile cruise was done this past September. This tradition began in 2006 with a single classic cruiser. The trip was featured in the Winter 2007 Brass Bell story "Life on the Mississippi - circa 2006". Several classic cruisers made the trek in 2007, all Chris-Crafts. The same cruise was scheduled in 2008 but was spoiled when Hurricane Ike dumped flood waters across the Midwest.

It's held in conjunction with the Annual Classic Boat & Outboard Show in Quincy, Illinois. Next year will be their 10th anniversary and the show promises to be bigger and better than ever. It would be great if a 2010 Mississippi River Mega-Cruise could be organized to include our classic cruisers and several runabouts from around the country.

It may take some coordination and/or strategy to keep the cruise interesting. These older cruisers move slowly compared to the runabouts but there are ways to have the two groups interact by offsetting start times and planning rendezvous points around meal times, etc.

We may have the makings for a great Chris-Craft Rendezvous for the Midwest region.

Al

THE RAZZ

NEW WATER for OLD BOATS

Post by THE RAZZ » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:52 am

Al,
Thanks for bringing your cruises event over to this thread. Perhaps others will follow with their suggestions or experiences. While we have a number of places to boat in NorCal, most of the country remains unfamiliar territory for our boating. It wouldn't take much imagination join cruisers and runabouts I’m sure. Talk about "Fleet Week!" Can you imagine CCs big and small out on an adventure?

We're exploring an enclosed trailer for the runabout in planning a cross-country mega cruise. Our chapter Pres. hauled CA to the Hudson (+annual meeting) for that cruise two years ago. Someone else hauled CA to Mt Dora. It’s a big deal but someone has to do to it.

Hope more add dream cruises (runabout&cruisers) here. The thread has 100 hits and counting.

Have boat. Will trail!

1987 21' CC Stinger

jahearne

Post by jahearne » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:56 pm

The Delta 100 will give me something to shoot for in May. So far we haven't gone more than 20 miles in the Connie without a break down. Let's see if we can make it a 100! I'll get out the charts.

Where it won't happen next year perhaps in the years to come we can pack up the SuperSport for a trip cross country. Looking forward to that adventure!
John & Wendy

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:02 pm

Road trips can be a lot of fun but also pretty exhausting.

Pros:

1. Great to take your boat to another venue and share with other people.
2. Good excuse to take an extended vacation with a boat.
3. Wife says its the most time she has gotten to spend with me in years. Great fun and conversation.

Cons:

1. Be prepared to have some kind of trouble with the boat/trailer/tow vehicle or something.
2. Be prepared to deal with your first mate if things go bad because you can't get away from them for a lot of hours.
3. Don't try and drive it all in one shot unless it's less than 12 hours.
4. Be prepared to act calm and cool even when the wife is towing the boat. If you act all concerned it will piss her off.

We made a trek from Oklahoma all the way to Tahoe in 2007, 1,850 miles each way. Tried to drive it non-stop on the way out......bad idea. 28.5 hours was just too long and about 20 hours into it I did not feel safe. On the way back we broke it into two days.

Even with a new trailer we still had a wheel bearing go out in the middle of NV. When it came time to put the boat in the water it would not start. Seems as though all the bouncing caused the needle and seat to stick in the carbs. Once that was figured out we were on our way.

Over all we had a good trip but I learned a valuable lesson about time behind the wheel.

In March of this year we took the boat to Mt. Dora. Heck that was only 1,350 each way. No big deal. Yep you guessed it I tried to drive that all in one shot. I did it but by the time we got there I was not happy with myself.

Bottom line for us is to plan on the actual road trip as part of the vacation and don't try and rush.

Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

Rugger8

Post by Rugger8 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:02 pm

Don,

You are even crazier than I am 1350 miles in one day! You are out of your mind! Anyhow, glad you made it and glad you got some sense knocked into you! Just kidding, to each their own, but no sense killing yourself, enjoy life a little.

Jeff

rpccc43

Post by rpccc43 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:41 pm

Greetings all,

When my kids were young we enjoyed cruising the New York State Erie canal. Start at the Niagara river near Buffalo take the canal east across the sate to Troy,NY where you can head North to Lake Champlain and the St.Lawrence or South to the Hudson River. If you want a shorter trip turn North into the Oswego River back to Lake Ontario and take the open water back to the Niagara River. Tons of stops that can be make including side trips into 3 of the Finger Lakes of New York. Canal cruising can be slow but always interesting. Another great trip is Canada's Rideau Canal from Lake Ontario at Kingston to Ottawa. Not sure of the mileage of any of these but definitely a great cruise.

Randman

THE RAZZ

Post by THE RAZZ » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:56 pm

Randman- Thank you. This is exactly what I hoped this thread would lead to. There is no way a Left Coast boater would know these waterways. We drove along some of the Eire Canal in 1992 dreaming of such a cruise. We drove and later flew the Hudson from Albany-NYC thinking cross country boating would a dream cruise.

Later we flew the shorlines of Lake Champlain, the St.Lawrence, the Hudson River, Lake Ontario, Lake Placid, Niagara Falls & River, Thousand Islands, Lake Michigan, Mississippi, Missori and Columbia Rivers often thinking how great it would be to boat on these spectacular waterways.

Perhaps attaching Razzmatazz to the Mooney we could escape trailer issues Don listed- just a thought :)

Lets hope more offer local cruise suggestions. It could turn into a nice collection of ideas for the travel wanderer in some of us.

JT
1987 21' CC Stinger

drrot

Post by drrot » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:26 pm

I have been on most of the East coast cruises. Usually when you sign up there is a space asking how many passengers you can take. I'm sure a call to the organizer would get you a passenger space. If you like it trailer out next time. Had a lovely couple from CA as passengers on the Hudson River Cruise. She made drinks and he held the cushions down.

Had several CA boats on the cruise too!

They had plane rides too!!

THE RAZZ

Post by THE RAZZ » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:18 am

Jim,
Great idea. Thanks.
Nice shot of rafting in the lock.
Were the biplane rides at Rinebeck up the Hudson?
JT
1987 21' CC Stinger

drrot

Post by drrot » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:16 am

Yes,
Rinebeck was an interesting place. Worth the trip.

Dick Baner

New Cruises

Post by Dick Baner » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:14 pm

Jim, where did you get that windmill? Looks like an aermotor head but with a strange looking tail. My sea skiff is on its way out of here to N. Carolina tomorrow morning. I hope the new owner has as much fun cruising with it as I have.
1967 33' Chris Craft SeaStrake
"Wave Toucher III,
1965 18' Carver Captain I/O "Wave Toucher II
1974 12' Alcort Minifish,
1973 15' Chrysler Mutineer "Wind Toucher"

drrot

Post by drrot » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:46 am

Dick,
It's a Pre-War Aermotor 702. Had it so long I had to buy instructions to put it back up. Great for giving directions here as you can see it for a mile or so.

THE RAZZ

Post by THE RAZZ » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:11 am

More cruise ideas, please.
1987 21' CC Stinger

rpccc43

Post by rpccc43 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:34 am

Razz,

Not to keep harping on Lake Ontario but it's what I know...If you really want an extended but stunningly beautiful cruise try the Trent-Severn from the Bay of Quinte in Ontario,Canada. It is a series of natural lakes connected by short stretches of canals and locks (including a railway lift lock)and will entreat the you to the spectacular Canadian wilderness. You'll eventually end up in the Georgian Bay.

Randman

jahearne

Post by jahearne » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:40 pm

drrot wrote:I have been on most of the East coast cruises. Usually when you sign up there is a space asking how many passengers you can take. I'm sure a call to the organizer would get you a passenger space. If you like it trailer out next time. Had a lovely couple from CA as passengers on the Hudson River Cruise. She made drinks and he held the cushions down.
That's a great idea! I married a bartender and I'm handy with tools & great at holding down cushions. So there you go!!! We'll keep an ear out for passenger lists on cruises we'd like to visit.

When I get up to the marina this weekend, I'll get the conversation started on possible course(s) for cruises on the Delta. There are several knowledgable locals that I know and hope to become one myself someday.
John & Wendy

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:14 pm

Jerry,

Here's another possible Midwest cruise opportunity, not sure of the mileage they cover but have heard great things about this one. It's the Heartland Classic Cruisin' Weekend on Table Rock Lake, in early June each year.

Al

Dick Baner

New Cruises

Post by Dick Baner » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:03 pm

There are a lot of available cruises that I have made by trailering from central Illinois. The North and Southbound cruises on the St. Johns River in conjunction with the mount dora show in Florida in April. The cross Florida from the Atlantic side to Ft. Myers thru Lake Okachobee. The Tennessee River Bi annual trips thru various sections including the Cumberland River up from the land of the lakes at the Ohio. The heartland classics annual event on Table Rock Lake in Missouri. Al Benton's show on the Illinois/Mississippi at Alton which I understand is now going to involve some cruiser cruising. Cruising with old wood boats, small or large, is simply the best way to go.
"Wave Toucher III,

THE RAZZ

Post by THE RAZZ » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:47 am

Now we're talking guys. Thanks. Keep it up.

We're creating a terrific archive here of cruise ideas. More ideas are better!
1987 21' CC Stinger

campjer

Post by campjer » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:03 am

Has anyone done the trek up the Detroit River through Lake St. Clair - through Sarnia/Port Huron, then up into Georgian Bay and into the Trent System - right back down into Lake Ontario? I'm 'hoping' this may be my chosen cruise for the spring in the 42' DCFB. Would love some feedback on this trek so I can prepare!
Cheers,
Jeremy Campbell

Current Projects:
'61 32' Connie
'61 45' Connie (RIP)
'50 42' DCFB

Wet Dreams:
'61 57' Connie

Dick Baner

New Cruises

Post by Dick Baner » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:11 am

There is a lot of cruising information including the area you describe from the AGLCA (America's Great Loop Cruising Association). It may be worth joining just for the daily information from folks traveling there. It is fun just to hear all the messages from folks on the loop, be it ocean travel or travel on the inland rivers. Dick
"Wave Toucher III,

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 am

There are a couple of Great Loop web pages. The official AGLCA site is www.greatloop.org and this one: www.greatloop.com features several publications regarding The Great Loop that includes one that features many side trips that are possible. Do a Google Search for a list of many other sites that feature The Great Loop.

There are practically endless possibilities of getting together somewhere on the many inland waterways with large and small boats, cruisers by water, runabouts by land.

Packaging a 100 mile cruise with a boat show may be a good way to make a gathering interesting for more folks. Food for thought.

Al

THE RAZZ

One thing leads to another.

Post by THE RAZZ » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:04 am

Al,
Nice idea.

Imagination time- prepping showboats to "as new from the factory" is a great challenge. But something may be missing.

A factory's job 1 certainly was- their boats must run well (or the factory would be out of business).
Imagine now 70 yrs later, a concours where top showboats must first run 100 miles just to qualify as Best of Show, Best of Class, etc. Is pretty enough?

Hope everyone continues submitting their favorite ideas here for cruisers and runabouts. Rideon!
1987 21' CC Stinger

THE RAZZ

Post by THE RAZZ » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:24 am

Here's a nice aerial album of CA Delta marinas for planning cruises & runabouts this spring.
http://www.californiadelta.org/marina_o ... _index.htm
1987 21' CC Stinger

BrokenRule2

Post by BrokenRule2 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:09 am

Razz,

I would love to do something in the SF Bay or Delta with our Connie, keep me in mind.

We are planning on going to Long Island in 2010 - the question is when - what is happening where?

What would be great is a left coast - right coast exchange for the non-trailer boaters. We would welcome any of you right coasters out on our boat for a left event and then visit the you for your event.

100 mile delta or opening day/fleet week on the bay. how about a woody get together?

Mike

THE RAZZ

Post by THE RAZZ » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:05 am

Mike,
Thanks for the idea. I'll keep you posted. The picture is the route of the 1st Delta 100. 2010 will be some variation of that.

Re SF Bay. I working on the logistics for a cruise from Jack London Sq to Petaluma. Thats not 100 miles but It could be a fun cruise.

While the curisers work on the bay with ease, we limit bay cruising to the Stinger (21' glass).

The left-right coast idea is great. Lets see what we can drum up.

Jerry Turney
Delta 100- May 2010, event chair
Tahoe Get Around- August 2010, event chair
1987 21' CC Stinger

Ken Miller

Post by Ken Miller » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:30 pm

Here is footage of the ACBS Dixieland Chapter 2009 Tennessee River Cruise. Thanks to Ned Smith for posting this. My wife thinks I'm goofy for watching video of other boaters, but it sure makes the snow outside tolerable. Wait 'til this Spring..........

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... type=&aq=f

Ken Miller
1951 Chris Craft U-22-1705 "Miss Cynthia"