Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Newbie question

Where do you like to visit? Who has the best show venue? How about the best funnel cakes? Ask your questions and get the answers from our worldwide network of experts.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

RRGadow

Newbie question

Post by RRGadow » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:28 pm

Hey Guys...are there any must attend events in the Carolinas?
Thanx!

Tightline5

Post by Tightline5 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:39 pm

Charlotte, NC Lake Norman, Sept/ first or second sat in the month. Lets not leave out a newer event at Raliegh NC, last weekend in Sept.Between those two slip up to Smith Mt Lake in Va. the third weekend of Sept. AHH life is good.
Phil Jones

1948 US Plywood Executive Runabout Hull #1 "WeldWood"
1954 Racing Runabout R-496
1957 Deluxe Runabout D-17-2062
"MISBEHAVIN"

RRGadow

Post by RRGadow » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:44 pm

Thanx for the info!
www.Gadowguitars.com

Varnish addiction.

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:58 pm

Ryan,

Welcome to Boat Buzz, it's good to have you with us.

The RDC Triangle Chapter, ACBS has the Lake Wheeler Show in September. RDC as in Raleigh - Duram - Chapel Hill. I'm sure there must be others close by, possibly some sponsored by the Blue Ridge Chapter and the Tidewater Chapter (no websites).

Al

RRGadow

Post by RRGadow » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:56 pm

Al,
Thanx...Even though I would love to attend those shows, I doubt there would be many of the larger boats at these gatherings...I'm just really consumed with the larger cruisers...is there any other shows on the East Coast that I should attend?
Thanx!
Ryan
www.Gadowguitars.com

Varnish addiction.

farupp

Georgetown, SC Wooden Boat Show

Post by farupp » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:24 pm

Ryan: there is a wonderful one-day show every October in Georgetown, SC. In water docks, boat building, etc. Main Street closed, good food and drink, etc. Georgetown is on the intracoastal waterway. I believe Beaufort, NC, has a show, too. How would you get your boat to a show from Durham?
Frank Rupp
1959 22-foot Sea Skiff Ranger
283 Flywheel Forward engine

RRGadow

Post by RRGadow » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:33 pm

Im really just interested in going...not showing. That being said, we plan on keeping our "Connie" docked at a marina on the ICW.
www.Gadowguitars.com

Varnish addiction.

kleiner

Post by kleiner » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:45 pm

Hi all,

Thanks Phil and Al for the plug for the RDC Triangle Chapter ACBS. Our show is relatively new at only 4 years old, and we only exhibit trailerable boats, either in-water or on-land. In addition to the Lake Norman and Smith Mountain Lake shows, both of which are excellent, you would have the opportunity to see some large cruisers at either the Georgetown Wooden Boat Show in SC (20 years running, held in October) or the N.C. Maritime Museum's 36th Annual Wooden Boat Show in Beaufort, NC held the first Saturday in May. Moore's Marine has opened a location in Beaufort (NC), so you might be able to see some large Trumpy yachts. Both Georgetown, SC and Beaufort, NC are well worth the trip and exhibit a wide variety of boats, from wooden surfboards to traditional working sail boats to steam launches, from antique and classic mahogany runabouts to contemporary wood construction of all types, to large cruisers (power and sail) as both are on the intracoastal waterway. They are absolutely wonderful boat shows.

Kevin

THE RAZZ

Post by THE RAZZ » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:30 am

Kevin,
Could come over to the thread NEW CRUISES for OLD BOATS and discuss cruising the intercoastal waterways? Some of us would appreciate an insiders remarks about these waters which are foreign to us. Thanks. Of course, we can recipricate re CA Delta or SF Bay anytime.

This WIKI got my interest going-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intracoastal_Waterway
Newbies may need some do's and don'ts from the locals.
1942 17' barrelback 71923
1987 21' CC Stinger

motherofdog

Post by motherofdog » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:19 am

Greetings,

The Charlotte/Lake Norman show is Sept. 10-11-12 2010. We didn't have a lot of really big boats this year, however there was a welcome event at "Crussin Classics". They had it at there shop and had some phenominal large cruisers there.

tom king

Post by tom king » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:34 pm

The Chesapeake Bay show in St. Michaels always has a few cruisers.