Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Tavares 2010

Where do you like to visit? Who has the best show venue? How about the best funnel cakes? Ask your questions and get the answers from our worldwide network of experts.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

Oberon01

Post by Oberon01 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:38 pm

Well, I m very happy to report that my lovley wife and I are already here - got in last night. Rented a nice, very old house a couple of blocks from downtown Mt. Dora, and just took in the big car show being held today.

Looking forward to the boats arriving in putting in our shifts as show volunteers. Reg Down from my neck of the woods arrives in a few days, and I imgaine I will see some of you around the tent and elsewhere over the course of the show.

I think it likely that there may be an informal cocktail hour or two on the huge screen porch at our place. You hear that, Matt?
1926 Mullins 16' Outboard Special
1940 CC 19'Custom
1946 Gar Wood 22' 6" Sedan
1946 16' Peterbrough Falcon
1947 CC 16' Special Runabout
1947 Chris Craft 22' Sportsman
1948 CC 25' Sportsman Sedan
1959 Feather Craft Islander Express Cruiser
1961 CC 21' Continental
1965 Glastron Futura 500 V -164
1965 CC Sea Skiff 24'

Matt Smith

Post by Matt Smith » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:25 pm

I hear ya... We start the drive on Wed... Should be there on Thursday Evening. I hope...
1948 25' Chris Craft Sportsman
1937 16' Special Racer
1968 40' Rice Trawler
1968 11' Crab Skiff
2018 Hole in my head

WoodyBoater.com

Wilson Wright

Mt Dora/Tavares& Congratulations

Post by Wilson Wright » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:16 pm

Bill:

Sorry you can't attend this year but understand the conflict...Of Course you can brag...and Congratulations to your son on his award...And If you can stand a little more bragging. The West Point Society held a banquet here in Tallahassee with more brass than they have at Pier One to honor my grandson and two more from this area who recently received appointments to West Point.

Can understand some asking questions...I've got to believe some of the registration forms went astray...At least I didn't get one here but then I thought it was probably time to break my Sanford/Mt.Dora/Tavares perfect attendance record this year.

If the past is any measure, those that go should have a good time.
Wilson Wright
Executive Director Emeritus
Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:30 pm

Wilson,

Congratulations to your grandson on his West Point appointment. He must have been influenced greatly by his very knowledgeable and well respected grandfather. Congratulations to you and your family as well.

As you say, those that go to the Sunnyland Show should have a good time but I must add that it will not be the same without seeing you there. You will be missed by many.

Al

chriscraftrick

Post by chriscraftrick » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:11 pm

I will be there at 4:00 on Friday. I hope to meet as many as I can. I will be wearing my CCABC brown shirt that I bought last year when I met Bill. I saw the Riva and followed it through the sale. This is a great club to belong to. Thanks!!!!

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:22 am

Rick,

That makes it official then. We'll all meet at the Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club tent Friday at 4:00 PM for meeting, greeting and for a group photo. If you're a Show Volunteer, try to break away for 5 minutes to be included in the photo (I'm sure Show Chairman and CCABC President Terry Fiest will excuse you long enough for this).

I look forward to seeing a large gathering for this, so if at all possible be there at 4:00.

Al

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:12 pm

Will be there,

John Rothert in Virginia
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

farupp

Post by farupp » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:33 pm

I'll be there on Friday at 4. We're in St. Pete now at my inlaws. I'll be getting to Tavares on Thursday morning with our boat.
Frank Rupp
1959 22-foot Sea Skiff Ranger
283 Flywheel Forward engine

Ken Miller

Post by Ken Miller » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:05 pm

Well, I'm not gonna make it. I can't get a hall pass. :lol: Our six year-old daughter is in a dance competition and I get to provide the getaway vehicle and hoof all the props to the backstage entrance.

Oh well, I was really looking forward to meeting some of the members of the forum and some of the legends like Wilson, Al, Bill, Terry and Matt. Drink one or three for me.

Ken.
1951 Chris Craft U-22-1705 "Miss Cynthia"

JohnKadimik

Post by JohnKadimik » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:00 pm

we're here ! sat. 3:30 am

jahearne

Post by jahearne » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:38 pm

I was so looking forward to meeting some of you this year and I was in Florida two days ago, but I just couldn't stay away from home any longer and flying the family out wasn't in the books.

Since we were so close to making Florida this year, we promised ourselves to make a show in Tahoe this year.

Have a great time everyone! I want lots of pictures posted!!!
John & Wendy

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:50 pm

Al and all going to Tavares.

It's going to be a super event and I hear this year is the biggest ever.

Brian Robinson and I will be there manning the CCABC tent.

Friday at 4 PM sounds great for a group photo and meet and greet.

See everyone there soon.

Regards
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

mattbyrne

Sunnyland Pictures

Post by mattbyrne » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:37 am

Just sharing, I was copied on the below email:

Sunnyland Boat Show Pictures being uploaded daily - from Vance Jochim

Spread the word I just uploaded 455 pictures from todays registration lines of boats coming in from 9am to 2pm today. They are in jpg format and can be downloaded for free or you can order prints from the Picasa website.

I will be uploading pictures each day. I have not edited, or cropped these pictures, but may do so next week. I also am going to try to input captions or filenames with descriptions of the boats and boat names next week.

The originals are 5mb in size, but when uploaded to the Picasa website, they are converted to about 440k (half a MB). You can download these picture files free, or order individual prints from Picasas print service.

They are at the same place where all my prior boat show pictures are located, which is at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/LakeDoraWoodBoats

If anyone else has good pictures of tonights Century event with pictures of the boats on display at the Lakeside Inn, let me know if you can provide them to upload to this site. I was not able to attend the event due to a conflict. I will also need pictures of the Friday night event, but I will take pics of daytime events on Friday, Sat. & Sunday plus Saturday night.

One reason for so many pictures is that I also took pictures of design features of many trailers, and I will move them to another folder later this week.

Since I dont have access to the master list of Sunnyland, if anyone wants to send a notice to ALL the chapter members, that would be great, so those that did not come can see the pictures now.

Vance Jochim
Sunnyland member

Chad Durren

Post by Chad Durren » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:27 pm

Thanks Vance (and Matt) for sharing the link to the photos.

I sorta feel like I'm there.
1952 CC 18' Sportsman
1969 CC 19' Commander Super Sport

Ken Miller

Post by Ken Miller » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:49 pm

Holy cow! I never knew the underwater gear of a Red and White was so massive:

Click Here
1951 Chris Craft U-22-1705 "Miss Cynthia"

JimF
Club Executive Team

Post by JimF » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:13 am

When they rebuilt that Red and White, they did a terrific job. However, it is far from original. The underwater gear of a normal Red and White is not much different than what you would find on any 25' vintage runabout like a Sportsman or a big triple.

Pete DeVito

Post by Pete DeVito » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:15 pm

Kudos to our president Terry Fiest and our Sunnyland Chapter for a great show last weekend. Anyone that was there could not help but enjoy the great weather and all that Wood.. lots of great pictures up on Woodyboater. Al Benton and I had a great time accompanying Don Ayers on one of his famous photo shoots. All of our club members at the show gathered Friday afternoon at the Club tent for a meet and greet. It was great to put a face with the "Buzz".

Pete
Knotty'48
1948 17' Deluxe Runabout

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:10 pm

I second that emotion, Pete. Terry and his team of volunteers did another splendid job putting on a first class Boat Festival. The best one yet! It was good to see many Buzzers there at the booth on Friday. Another true pleasure was meeting Brian Robinson and visiting with him for a while. The photo shoot with Don was great fun. Pete and I both lost our hats in Lake Dora and we all got soaked from the rough water and spray but the end results were well worth the cost of a couple of new hats.

Al