Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Tavares 2010

Where do you like to visit? Who has the best show venue? How about the best funnel cakes? Ask your questions and get the answers from our worldwide network of experts.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

Ken Miller

Tavares 2010

Post by Ken Miller » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:52 pm

My wife and I have owned our '51 U-22 since January 2001, used her in the '01-06 seasons, then sent her for restoration in June of '08. Her restoration was finished this past summer, but she has been used little, so I feel like the 2010 season will be our first with a newly restored boat.

I was raised living on a lake, owning a boat--but never have been to a boat show. I'm a little nervous about my first show being a large one like Tavares, but I also think it will make a good first experience. As I've owned and operated my Sportsman for several years and have owned a boat since I was a teenager, it's not like I'm a boat novice--but I would feel more comfortable if I knew anyone from the board who might also be going to Tavares who could show me the ropes.

Anyone planning to go to the Tavares show in 2010?

Thanks, Ken.
1951 Chris Craft U-22-1705 "Miss Cynthia"

drrot

Post by drrot » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:01 pm

Wouldn't miss it!!

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:04 pm

Ken,

We hauled a boat down to Tavares last year '08 and it couldn't have been any easier. This show is so organized that they practically know who you are as you're approaching check-in from a block away. We were directed to a very large drop-off area, the boat was dropped and their volunteers took it from there. After we parked the motor home we met the boat at the ramp and it was launched for us with instructions on where to tie up on the docks. They took the trailer to safe storage and we didn't see it again until Sunday afternoon, when the boat was ready to be retrieved, by them (well, you get to drive your own boat onto the trailer). It was taken to the same place where we dropped it off a few days earlier, we hooked up and was ready for the highway. Totally amazing.

Al

Reginald Down

Post by Reginald Down » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:28 am

Ken - Congrats on your freshly restored U-22 and I am looking forward to seeing it in Tavares. I attended the Sunnyland Chapter event for the first time this year and am looking forward to returning to Tavares in 2010. Lots of great people and a wonderful atmosphere!
Reg Down

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:19 am

Can't wait, go every year.....rite of springtime...be there...you will love it.
john in va.
Last edited by jfrprops on Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

dustoff135

Post by dustoff135 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:50 am

What are the days Tavares 2010 is taking place?
Patrick

Previous projects: 1940 17' Barrelback, #71572
1971 XK19, ORCZ19-2016V

New project: Looking???

Oberon01

Post by Oberon01 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:56 am

Tavares/Mt. Dora is a great show to attend. We have been for the last two years and are going again in 2010. In fact, this time we have rented a house in Mt. Dora for 2 weeks and we are going to make a sort of working holiday out of it. We have also volunteered to help out with the show.

It is a great area of Florida - fortunately unlike the neighboring theme park, outlet mall ridden landscape.

It is just too far (3000 miles) for us to realistically bring a boat (especially in winter), but we have a great time there anyway.

drrot

Post by drrot » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:13 pm

March 24-28

Matt Smith

Post by Matt Smith » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:36 pm

Hey Ken.. Its the one show you need to go to. Bring the boat. Put it in the water though. The lake is great fun. The folks at the show are amazing and hope is in the air. Alot of pent up boatness for sure. We will be there with Bill at the Chris Craft tent. Come on by. Matt
1948 25' Chris Craft Sportsman
1937 16' Special Racer
1968 40' Rice Trawler
1968 11' Crab Skiff
2018 Hole in my head

WoodyBoater.com

Ken Miller

Post by Ken Miller » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:24 pm

So can anyone give me advice on making reservations (where to stay, etc.) and which days are the most important to attend?

Thanks, Ken.
1951 Chris Craft U-22-1705 "Miss Cynthia"

Chad Durren

Post by Chad Durren » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:07 pm

Stayed at the Mission Inn last year in Howie in the Hills. Not far from the show and reasonable rates for show attendees. Have fun and good luck with Miss Cynthia.
1952 CC 18' Sportsman
1969 CC 19' Commander Super Sport

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:10 pm

You definitely need to make the most of Friday and Saturday. Sunday is still billed as a show day, where they try to discourage boats from leaving early, but in actuality, many have long drives ahead of them. If you can swing it, take Monday off of work and enjoy one last day of Florida sun on Sunday.
Bill Basler

Reginald Down

Post by Reginald Down » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:29 pm

I have stayed at the Mission Inn for winter golf outings for years and also during the Sunnyland show in Tavares last year. Comfortable, reasonable boat show rates and always enjoyed the accommodations and great service.

They have established a 2010 Sunnyland Boat Show Rate, so make sure you mention that if you call to make a reservation.

www.missioninnresort.com
Reg Down

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:05 pm

Reg

You going this year?

I'll be there working the tent and thank God I'm not bringing a boat. The road trip took it out of me.
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

Reginald Down

Post by Reginald Down » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:37 pm

Hi Don,

Yes I am planning to attend the Sunnyland event in Tavares again this year and look forward to seeing everyone from the CCABC and that WoodyBoater fellow too.
Reg Down

Matt Smith

Post by Matt Smith » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:04 am

I am replying from 30,000 feet in the air. Internet on a plane. What a crazy world. We are planning here at woody boater to have some fun caps, tshirts and if you order now. The real deal Classic yacht hats. At the Tavara show. You can read about them on woodyboater.com this week. The custom order is going out this weel. We will need you hat size and a check. by buying them this way for a one time deal, we save over 120 bucks per hat. The reg retail for $250 and will from this point on. So speak up...
1937 16' Special Racer
1968 40' Rice Trawler
1968 11' Crab Skiff
2018 Hole in my head

WoodyBoater.com

farupp

Post by farupp » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:48 pm

We are headed to the Mt. Dora/Tavares show for the first time this year and will be bringing our Sea Skiff for the in-water display. We plan on arriving Thursday morning, and have signed up for all the receptions and parties.

Once we are docked in the display area is it possible to leave and take a cruise around the lake or to dinner at a lakefront restaurant (where are they)?

What are the rules/guidelines about access to our boat in the early morning and late evening? I am used to rafting up with other boats but am wondering about protocol at this show.

We are really looking forward to it and appreciate any input provided. I am also curious as to whether Bill Basler really has a laptop permanently attached to one hand.

Thank you.
Frank Rupp
1959 22-foot Sea Skiff Ranger
283 Flywheel Forward engine

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:58 pm

Oooh. Ouch. I am sorry to say I cannot make it to Tavares this year. As I sit up to my ears in snow, it pains me to say this.

My son is graduating from Army Boot Camp a few days prior at Fort Jackson, SC. It looks like the state of SC will get my tourism dollars in another month.

I hope you all can make this show. It is a good one, and certainly a great way to escape the cold.
Bill Basler

tom king

Post by tom king » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:57 pm

Matt, are you still going to sell the baseball yacht cap?

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:27 pm

Frank,

To answer some of your questions, boats can come and go from the display area any time. There is a scheduled period for sponsors to pick favorites for their awards but I think you don't have to be there for it.

The Show provides security guards and keeps visitors away from docks after Show hours but I believe that registered boat owners can come and go at any time.

I don't know about restaurants accessible from the lakes, someone else may know. Maybe Lakeside Inn has courtesy docks. There may be some on Lake Eustis or Lake Harris.

Al

Matt Smith

Post by Matt Smith » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:37 pm

Hey Tom. Yes, they should be coming in in two weeks. i will make a big anouncement
1937 16' Special Racer
1968 40' Rice Trawler
1968 11' Crab Skiff
2018 Hole in my head

WoodyBoater.com

farupp

Post by farupp » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:46 pm

Thank you, Al. I am looking forward to the show if it ever warms up here in the south! Are you bringing a boat this year?
Frank Rupp

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:10 pm

Frank, I'll be traveling light this year, just a carry-on. I'll be the one standing on the docks with my thumb out, wearing a new WoodyBoater Yacht Cap.

farupp

Post by farupp » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:43 pm

And, I'll know exactly what you look like as a result of the expose in The Brass Bell!

Frank Rupp

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:13 pm

Frank,

I'm surprised anyone noticed me with my lovely wife and beautiful granddaughter in the same photo. Sami (granddaughter) was to accompany me to Tavares, it's her spring break. The deal was to treat her to 4 days on a sandy beach in exchange for 3 days with me at the Sunnyland Show but now I can't get away until Thursday. She's not up for the exchange part without the treat first.

Al

chriscraftrick

Post by chriscraftrick » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:05 pm

Is there a time or a place where people might meet up to meet other people from Boat Buzz and enjoy an adult beverage? I would like to meet some of our members and see thier faces. I will be there Friday and Saturday. I was there last year but got caught up in all the excitement and didn't get to personally meet some of you. My lodging is my Aunts' place in Brooksville but I would meet at the CCABC tent or anywhere else. Are people going to the Haggerty Greet. Do people have some CCABC identification so we can put faces with the names? Thanks!!!!

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:25 pm

one year we all met at like 1pm on fri. or Sat. at the CCABC tent, Matt Smith of woodyboater.com fame and a fellow Virginian will likely be holding court in the tent. Bill Basler informs he can not make it this year but we expect some of the major "posters", Don Ayers will be there Bill says, Wilson Wright usually, ...., wish I could meet Jim Evans, etc et al....Joe Martel may make a cameo appearance...

Let's check in at the club tent and do a group pic again... I prefer friday. I am staying back at the Inn as per usual. Looking forward to seeing all.
John Rothert, in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:00 pm

Will there be a CCABC tent this year? I haven't heard. If there is, we could set a time to meet, say 4:00 PM on Friday??? If there is no tent, then meet up on the boat ramp??? Just wiggle your ears and stick out your tong if you're a CC guy, we'll find each other. We met at 1:00 PM 2 years ago but this year the picnic will keep that time from working very well.

Al

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:22 pm

I will not be able to attend this year due to travels this week for another cause...my oldest son.

Andrew, age 20, graduated from Army Basic training at Fort Jackson, SC. I am pretty proud as he was awarded a Soldier of the Cycle honor, Vicksburg and Task Force Bayonet awards for excellence. Sorry, about the distraction from boats. I had to gloat a bit.

Now, I need to travel back home, finish up a Brass Bell among other things.

Yes, we will have a tent. There have been more space challenges that Terry Fiest and the Sunnyland crew have been wrestling with this year. They built another large pavilion at Wooten Park, so there is a bit less grassy area for tents.

We will be sharing a tent with the Riva crew, Herb Hall and Alan Weinstein. Stop by, and introduce yourself to Don Ayers, Brian Robinson, Matt Smith, or whomever else might be lurking around.

4:00 on Friday sounds as good as any for a gathering of all members. What do you all think? Can you make this work? A couple of years ago we met for a quick photo, and I would estimate that we had at least 100 gathered together.

I would love to see a photo, and any other updates from the show. I will be there in spirit...the first miss for me in 6 years.
Bill Basler

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:43 pm

Thanks, Bill,

You will be missed this year. I'm sure Don, Brian and Matt will do an excellent job of keeping the tradition alive in your absents. I look forward to meeting Brian Robinson and seeing Don and Matt again.

I suppose 4:00 PM will be the official time then. That will give folks returning from the picnic cruise time to get settled and will give folks a chance to get acquainted before the 6:00 PM Cocktail Party begins.

Al