Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Cross Lake Minnisota

Where do you like to visit? Who has the best show venue? How about the best funnel cakes? Ask your questions and get the answers from our worldwide network of experts.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

evansjw44

Cross Lake Minnisota

Post by evansjw44 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:00 am

There seem to be shows all over. I posted some pictures on Picasa of the show I attended with my brother in Cross Lake, MN. Cross Lake is in a very rural part of mid-Minnisota. You have to wonder the boats came from but 60+ boats were there. Of special interest was oin powered by a Wright Typhone - a converted Liberty airplane engine.

http://picasaweb.google.com/evansjw44/M ... keBoatShow
Jim Evans

John McConnell

Cross Lake, Mn boat show

Post by John McConnell » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:43 am

VERY nice! Thanks for sharing pics. I drooled on my key board.
John McConnell
'67, 40' Connie
Kokopelli

JohnKadimik

Post by JohnKadimik » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:23 am

Thanks Jim, I saw the SEA WOLF at Clayton last weekend, what a great boat.

Kerry Price

Post by Kerry Price » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:18 am

I grew up spending my summer family vacation on Cross Lake in the late 50's. My dad rented a cabin and took my mom, brothers and me (I was maybe 5 or 6) at the now long gone Fisherman's Point Lodge and spent our days fishing in a rented leaky wooden row boat without a motor. This was no frills but some of the happiest days of my childhood. It was there that I saw my first wooden boat, a Century Restorer owned by the family that also owned the resort where we stayed . I recall watching the two teenage boys- sons of the resorts owners- take off from the dock as I watched thinking how cool that boat was. Wooden boats were quite common on the lake back then and I can say that if it weren't for the experiences that I had with my family back then that I would not have had any connection to wooden boats or this great hobby.
1946 20' Custom Runabout: R-20-092
1938 19' Sportsman: 19501
http://www.chris-craft.org/registry/vie ... oat_id=532

Ken Miller

Post by Ken Miller » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:30 am

Kerry Price wrote:I grew up.....in the late 50's.....some of the happiest days of my childhood.....wooden boats were quite common on the lake back then and I can say that if it weren't for the experiences that I had with my family back then that I would not have had any connection to wooden boats or this great hobby.
Well, if that doesn't sum up why most of use are members of this club and forum, what does? Maybe we could put that across the top of the home page? LOL. Well said, Kerry.

Ken Miller
1951 Chris Craft U-22-1705 "Miss Cynthia"