Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Boat Buzz - Unplugged

Where do you like to visit? Who has the best show venue? How about the best funnel cakes? Ask your questions and get the answers from our worldwide network of experts.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Boat Buzz - Unplugged

Post by Al Benton » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:23 pm

Boat Buzz - Unplugged

...Is a spontaneous reaction from John Rothert's visit to The Mariners' Museum and the posts that followed. See http://www.chris-craft.org/discussion/v ... php?t=6880

It's not an official CCABC function, just Boat Buzz enthusiasts that want to see the Chris-Craft Collection at the museum's Library and get together in Newport News for a day and evening of fun and fellowship.

It's a chance for us to put faces to names, see the Collection first hand, get a tour of the Museum and then sit and break bread (or crab legs & crab cakes) together while we listen to corny jokes about each other's posts.

Here's Saturday at a glance:

9:30 - 12:30 Chris-Craft Collection at the Library
1:00 - 2:00 Lunch at the Museum Cafe
2:00 - 3:30 Guided Museum Tour
3:30 - 5:00 Self Guided Tour
6:30 - ??? The Crab Shack on the James River Restaurant

Cost: Library - Free!!!, Lunch - 8.50 Sandwich, side & drink, Tour & Admission - 10.00 ea. (9.00 sr's), free for museum members, Dinner - 20.00 and up (depends on appetite & thirst).

Hotel: Best Western Plus - Newport News Inn & Suites near the airport, $59.00 (single w/ king size bed) Call 866-833-2378 before 11/19 and tell them put your room near Al Benton unless you snore like a Hercules M on steroids. My snoring is more like a B on cheap gas.

We can play Sunday morning by ear. There's plenty of interesting things to see and do following a casual breakfast (or not).

Call and make your own hotel reservations and let John Rothert know you'll be joining the group. Email him at [email protected]

Remember it's the first ever Boat Buzz - Unplugged. It could happen again in your neighborhood but don't miss out on the first one.
Last edited by Al Benton on Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Al
Member - Executive Team

evansjw44

Snoring

Post by evansjw44 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:27 pm

I shared a room with my son at a trade show a while back. He moved out at 2:00 AM claiming I snored like 20-645. I usually opt for single occupancy. My wife and I seem to cope. But she's a 16-710 four stroker.
Jim Evans

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:16 pm

Jim, when we hear the doors and windows start rattling we'll know you're getting up to cruise speed then. My wife snores more like a small electric trolling motor, kind of soothing actually. She never admits to missing mine when I go away for a weekend.
Al
Member - Executive Team

Matt Smith

Post by Matt Smith » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:31 pm

When you wake up with a 3 inch copper pipe attached to your chins.. Then you know you have an issue.
1948 25' Chris Craft Sportsman
1937 16' Special Racer
1968 40' Rice Trawler
1968 11' Crab Skiff
2018 Hole in my head

WoodyBoater.com

Peter McBratney

Post by Peter McBratney » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:50 am

Wouldn't you just know it!!!

I fly in to Washington from Adelaide, South Australia on Saturday afternoon. It's a three hour drive from there and anyway, I would be too late.

I spent three years as a youngster on the James River and I would have been fantastic to be there on Saturday. It would also have helped my long rebuild of the 1961 Capri I have here.

I wish you all well..

Regards from Down Under

Peter McBratney

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:55 am

Peter, so close!!! Could you drive down to have dinner with us at The Crab Shack Saturday evening at 6:30 (or so)? It would be at least an opportunity to meet you and enjoy the evening. That would be fantastic.

Give us the info. you need from the library and possibly we could find some things for you. Let us know.
Al
Member - Executive Team

Peter McBratney

Post by Peter McBratney » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:18 am

Al. As you said, so close. My wife says it is an opportunity I should not miss, so....

Tomorrow I am going to see if I can book on the overnight flight out of San Francisco that gets in at 0648. I will either drive down, getting there about 10.30 (ish) or take a commuter flight from Washington to Richmond and drive the rest of the way. I would still get there around 10.30.

That of course is subject to delays, weather and good strong coffee.

If all that comes off I will stay overnight and drive back Sunday afternoon. I need to be back in Washington Sunday night, to meet up with some others who arrive about then.

So it just might work. I will let you know. Is there a person who is coordinating the numbers etc, that I should also keep in the loop.

Regards

peter

I

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:11 am

Peter, we would love to have you!

Check flights from DC to Newport News Va. direct...they have a nice airport, close to where were are.
worth a try, we can pick you up.

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

Rugger8

Post by Rugger8 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:15 am

I am planning on coming. Looking forward to it, even if it is an 8 hour drive in the middle of the night! BTW, since it is not listed on this message anywhere, but on the previous thread, for those who are unaware, the date is Saturday, Dec. 3rd.

Jeff

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:22 am

Jeff, thanks or the date update and welcome aboard Boat Buzz Unplugged. Go to the top of this thread for the info.

Peter, it's very cool that you may make it to the Museum Library on Saturday morning. We all look forward to meeting you. I don't think anyone could top the distance traveled to be there. Wow!

I'm literally out in the woods deer hunting this week and have limited access. I was lucky to find a nearby resident with wireless internet for me to borrow.
Al
Member - Executive Team

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:19 am

REMEMBER this event is the weekend of Sat. December 3rd, 2011. I encourage all that have signed up, and especially those that have yet to...to read the first post on this thread about the details of this event.
As of today, 11/16 I have 18 potential attendees on the list!!
Will post more later....make your hotel reservaions asap,

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Re: Boat Buzz - Unplugged

Post by Al Benton » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:49 pm

Al Benton wrote:Boat Buzz - Unplugged Dec 3, 2011

...Is a spontaneous reaction from John Rothert's visit to The Mariners' Museum and the posts that followed. See http://www.chris-craft.org/discussion/v ... php?t=6880

It's not an official CCABC function, just Boat Buzz enthusiasts that want to see the Chris-Craft Collection at the museum's Library and get together in Newport News for a day and evening of fun and fellowship.

It's a chance for us to put faces to names, see the Collection first hand, get a tour of the Museum and then sit and break bread (or crab legs & crab cakes) together while we listen to corny jokes about each other's posts.

Here's Saturday at a glance:

9:30 - 12:30 Chris-Craft Collection at the Library
1:00 - 2:00 Lunch at the Museum Cafe
2:00 - 3:30 Guided Museum Tour
3:30 - 5:00 Self Guided Tour
6:30 - ??? The Crab Shack on the James River Restaurant

Cost: Library - Free!!!, Lunch - 8.50 Sandwich, side & drink, Tour & Admission - 10.00 ea. (9.00 sr's), free for museum members, Dinner - 20.00 and up (depends on appetite & thirst).

Hotel: Best Western Plus - Newport News Inn & Suites near the airport, $59.00 (single w/ king size bed) Call 866-833-2378 before 11/19 and tell them put your room near Al Benton unless you snore like a Hercules M on steroids. My snoring is more like a B on cheap gas.

We can play Sunday morning by ear. There's plenty of interesting things to see and do following a casual breakfast (or not).

Call and make your own hotel reservations and let John Rothert know you'll be joining the group. Email him at [email protected]

Remember it's the first ever Boat Buzz - Unplugged. It could happen again in your neighborhood but don't miss out on the first one.
It's not too late to reserve a room at the Best Western for $59.00. You need to call on 11/18/11 to get the low rate but don't let that stop you from joining us. If you find that you can fit this into your schedule rooms at Best Western are still a bargain.

They will group our rooms together, mention my name, Al Benton, rather than CCABC or Boat Buzz - Unplugged.

We need to call the Library & Museum on Monday NOV 28th with final numbers for the Library Visit, the Museum Luncheon & Tour and for dinner reservations at The Crab Shack.
Al
Member - Executive Team

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:00 am

One more week! The first ever Boat Buzz - Unplugged will begin at The Mariners' Museum Library in the Chris-Craft Collection. Saturday, Dec 3rd, 9:30 - 12:30 has been specially arranged just for us.

It's now an International event as Peter McBratney will be joining us all the way from Australia. Peter is restoring a 1961, 19' Capri, the last true Runabout style wooden boat that Chris-Craft built.

It's not too late to join us. Send John Rothert an email at [email protected] adding your name to our Boat Buzz - Unplugged list of attendees.
Al
Member - Executive Team

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:08 pm

Boat Buzz - Unplugged in Newport News, VA today was an absolute blast (or hoot). There were 21 of us at The Mariners' Museum and Library today and I believe we all benefited greatly from the overall experience.

We were all very impressed with the staff at the Chris-Craft Collection. What a great crew Marry Sellen and Patti Hinson have. They and the volunteers were very helpful with with accessing files and folders at our request and helping us go through things.

The Mariners' Museum in like no other museum. Again, the word "amazing" doesn't do it or its staff justice. The tour guide was very knowledgeable but John Rothert surprised us and him with his own knowledge of boating history in the Chesapeake Bay area.

We just returned from a wonderful evening at The Crab Shack on the James River where we enjoyed good eating and shared a few highlights of our day.

All in all the first ever Boat Buzz - Unplugged was a tremendous success!!!
Al
Member - Executive Team

RRGadow

Post by RRGadow » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:52 pm

It was great to meet everyone in person.....I wish I could have gone to dinner with you guys, but I had some varnishing to attend to. Thanx for putting on a great get together!
www.Gadowguitars.com

Varnish addiction.

Rugger8

Post by Rugger8 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:27 pm

I had a great time as well. Thanks John and Al for making this all happen. I learned a ton and it was great to put a face to the names.

Separately, anyone know if NY has reciprocity with Virginia for speeding?

Jeff

63constellation

Post by 63constellation » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:18 pm

Sure they have reciprociy,they busted me in NY once.

Matt Smith

Post by Matt Smith » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:20 pm

Welcome to Virginia.. Home of the no radar director law!
1948 25' Chris Craft Sportsman
1937 16' Special Racer
1968 40' Rice Trawler
1968 11' Crab Skiff
2018 Hole in my head

WoodyBoater.com

Rugger8

Post by Rugger8 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:22 pm

well, we were quick enough to get the radar detector down, but he got me with an instant on laser and the classic speed trap where it dropped from 55 to 45. Ughhh. Other than that a great event!

Jeff

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:52 pm

A really great weekend! What a neat thing to be able to meet with friends and put faces to names, or screen names at least and at last!!
Many thanks to those who traveled from afar, and to all the new folks that joined us. The hospitality and professionalism and most of all the ENTHUSIASM of the staff at the Chris Craft Collection of the Mariner's Museum was tremendous! Many thanks to all!
Boat Buzz is about sharing advice and stories about our boats, FIVE of the top ten CC posters in the world attended this first Boat Buzz Unplugged...really neat dinner discussions and sitting around the hotel sessions...priceless.
Matt says next UNPLUGGED should be in Algonac...hell yes!!
I ended the weekend on my cruiser on a perfect weather day....life is good, thanks to good friends.
John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30

jfrprops

Jeff B.

Post by jfrprops » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:11 pm

How do I go about finding the post/story about that saga of a trip you made up the atlantic coast??

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30

Rugger8

Post by Rugger8 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:00 pm

John,

you can read the story of my boat if you go into the Hull Registry and sort by size boat. Mine is 46' and is hull number DC 46-079. That should get you there. Boat's name is Adventure.

Jeff

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:29 pm

Gee Jeff, that route is more torturous than Peter McBrattney's trip back to Australia????

thanks, I will try it....

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:00 pm

found it and read it...others should do the same, this is a true SAGA.....Boat Buzz Unplugged has already led to great info finds.
Al was looking at some 1920's CC papers, and I noticed on the bottom that this was for a custom "tender" for a big yacht,
and the customer's name was "W. R. Hearst"....wow.
John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30

Rugger8

Post by Rugger8 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:37 pm

Yeah, it was a challenge, especially for my first trip in Blue Water period, let alone on an old woody! Well, already have my next trip scheduled, up the Hudson and into the great lakes and into Canada to visit a friend who is going to re-do my front deck over next winter. So that should be another "Adventure" Maybe I can time it to coincide with Boat Buzz Unplugged 2, in Algonac!

Jeff

Hokietown

Post by Hokietown » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:35 pm

Phil
'47 Rocket
Hull# R-16-515

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:12 pm

Where's Waldo???

This was a fun group. Several of us called Patti ahead of time and she had tables spread out with files and folders for us when we arrived. Others asked for things on specific projects when we arrived and she and her staff were quick to retrieve more documents for them. It was a very fruitful experience for all of us.

Our tour Guide at The Mariners' Museum was very knowledgeable and interesting. John in VA (jfrprops) filled us in with even more very interesting history of the Chesapeake area and some of the artifacts on display.

It was a fun day and weekend.
Al
Member - Executive Team

63constellation

Post by 63constellation » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:00 pm

The unplugged gang chowing down for the Mariners Museum trip.Really enjoyed the weekend,very informative.

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:19 am

David, thanks for the photos. Oh, and for sharing your mason jar filled with delightful spirits. I enjoyed that little unexpected treat very much.
Al
Member - Executive Team