Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Clayton Show disappointment

Where do you like to visit? Who has the best show venue? How about the best funnel cakes? Ask your questions and get the answers from our worldwide network of experts.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

Jim Bell

Clayton Show disappointment

Post by Jim Bell » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:38 am

I encourcaged an associate of mine who showed an interest in wooden boats to take in the Clayton show this past weekend. He checked the hours and dates and went on Sunday morning around 9 am. By 10am practically ALL of the boats in the show where packed up and gone. The show was advertised to be on until 3 pm. This is a common problem. Either shut down the night before or stay going until close. Make the commitment and follow through. Very disappointing. :oops:

Oberon01

Post by Oberon01 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:03 am

I wasn't there so I can't make specific comments, but I know that most show organizers try to make sure that as many boats are on display during posted show hours as possible. They are typically quite responsive to the desire of most visitors to actually see the boats.

In our case in athe Okanagan Chapter of the ACBS, our show is 10-4 Saturday, and during that time very limited movement of boats occurs. Though as boat owners we would often like to be on the water, we also want to provide a positive experience to the visitor. I suggest you notify the show Chairman or organizer of your experience. This may encourage them to change their scheduling next year, or make other arrangements to mitigate the problem.
1926 Mullins 16' Outboard Special
1940 CC 19'Custom
1946 Gar Wood 22' 6" Sedan
1946 16' Peterbrough Falcon
1947 CC 16' Special Runabout
1947 Chris Craft 22' Sportsman
1948 CC 25' Sportsman Sedan
1959 Feather Craft Islander Express Cruiser
1961 CC 21' Continental
1965 Glastron Futura 500 V -164
1965 CC Sea Skiff 24'

Tom Gruenauer

Post by Tom Gruenauer » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:54 am

I was also disappointed, and I went on Saturday! Not a lot of boats total and way too many (new) contemporary classics. It even looked like the ABM used some of their boats to “fill in holes” at the docks. I know the economy is rough, but is this going on at a lot of other shows or did I just hit it wrong?
After driving 7 hours (round trip), I will think long and hard about going back.

Tightline5

Post by Tightline5 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:11 am

I was on the road 12 hr one way to see this show and was somewhat disapointed, althought the area was amazing. I did go into Canada and meet Jim Potter, and I met Ken Wykes at the show. There were also very little vendor traffic. I hear Buffalo is featuring Shepherds Sept 7/8/9. HUMMM Oh Honey????????????
Phil Jones

1948 US Plywood Executive Runabout Hull #1 "WeldWood"
1954 Racing Runabout R-496
1957 Deluxe Runabout D-17-2062
"MISBEHAVIN"

drrot

Post by drrot » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:50 am

Been to Buffalo several times. It's a fun show that draws some nice boats. It's about 600 miles for me as opposed to 900 to Clayton. The problem with going so far to a show is you want to leave early to get back to the grind on Monday. I'm guilty of if at all long distance shows. About 10 years ago I hauled mu U-22 to the ACBS national show in Idaho. About 1800 miles one way. I heard from several people afterwards wondering what happened and was everything OK. They seen my empty slip with my placard on it and figured I was not there. After dragging my boat so far I went boating EVERY chance I could. Seen some beautiful places. Sorry but I am one for using the boats not sitting at the pier. Perhaps offer to go with someone bringing a boat as crew.
Jim Staib
www.finewoodboats.com

1947 Penn Yan 12' Cartopper WXH474611
1950 Chris-Craft 22' Sportsman U-22-1532
1957 Chris-Craft 26' Sea Skiff SK-26-515
1968 Century 17' Resorter FG-68-174

Matt Smith

Post by Matt Smith » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:36 pm

The secret tip to boat shows is to show up early, and you will never be disappointed. And you get a jump on the good stuff. Also, the boat owners are more open to giving rides and chatting. I call show day, the wedding reception. Fun for everyone, but its business. The day before is more fun. For the bigger shows, its about seeing pals and going out on a boat and having fun. Starring at boats at a dock is boring to be honest.
1948 25' Chris Craft Sportsman
1937 16' Special Racer
1968 40' Rice Trawler
1968 11' Crab Skiff
2018 Hole in my head

WoodyBoater.com

Moosemeat

Clayton Show, My Take

Post by Moosemeat » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:11 am

I wish to add my Clayton $.02 worth. We arrived there on Saturday, took in the show and auction, and sweltered in the almost 100 degree heat. To cool off, I bought us two tickets on the last of the museum's boats rides for the day. For those who don't know, the museum has two reproduction triple cockpit classic boats, a Hacker and a Garwood, that they use to offer rides on the river.
When we arrived at the dock at the appointed time, we were told that due to a paperwork error there was no room for us, and could we return tomorow. They fixed us up with passes for the next day.
That night the wind started to howl. Our dome tent shook around like jello on a plate. We returned to the show apprehensive that our ride would be cancelled due to the wind and worsening conditions.
Nothing doing. The boat captain took us out anyway. We were the only people on the boat. What a great ride! The heat was down a bit, and the big Hacker dealt well with the whitecaps. I was happy to observe that the other half showed no evidence of susceptibility towards mal-de-mare, even heading into the wind with the Hacker bouncing around.
Through all of this, the museum and show people, who are all volunteers, could not have been nicer about the whole thing. They made every effort to get us out there in spite of questionable conditions. I think that there was only one more ride boat sent out that day.
This is why the previous poster noticed a lack of boats; many of the boats at the show came by water. The weather folks did their best to scare the bejsus out of everyone. The Clayton cops were crusing up and down the street with loudspeakers warning everyone of the impending storm and possible flood surge. No surprise then if the many Canadian and Thousand Island boats elected to leave early.

jim g

Post by jim g » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:29 pm

Tightline5 wrote:I was on the road 12 hr one way to see this show and was somewhat disapointed, althought the area was amazing. I did go into Canada and meet Jim Potter, and I met Ken Wykes at the show. There were also very little vendor traffic. I hear Buffalo is featuring Shepherds Sept 7/8/9. HUMMM Oh Honey????????????
Take your "Ace" bucket!!!!!

Tightline5

Post by Tightline5 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:56 pm

Jim, I never leave the dock without it. :roll:
Phil Jones

1948 US Plywood Executive Runabout Hull #1 "WeldWood"
1954 Racing Runabout R-496
1957 Deluxe Runabout D-17-2062
"MISBEHAVIN"