Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

DENBY: 1954 22' Sea Skiff with a past!

This is a focused discussion area for information unique to Chris-Craft's Sea Skiff Division.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Grant Stanfield

DENBY: 1954 22' Sea Skiff with a past!

Post by Grant Stanfield » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:18 pm

Ahoy again, all Sea-Skiffers!

Presenting DENBY...

DENBY is a very rare 1954 Chris-Craft 22' Sea Skiff with a very interesting provenance. In her entire 60-year history, she has served but ONE family faithfully as the main launch to/from their 30-acre private island estate -Denby Island- in the North Woods of Wisconsin.

She has been boathouse-kept from day one, with a boatman/caretaker to keep her in fine fettle each year for the family's use and enjoyment. She has been preserved in remarkable, water-ready condition and has all her original equipment on board, with a patina that only time and regular use can achieve.

My favorite part of the DENBY story? She's OURS...as of Friday!

Welcome home, DENBY...let's make some lasting memories of our own!

Here's a link to her new page in the CCABC Hull Registry: http://www.chris-craft.org/registry/vie ... at_id=2084

Best regards- Grant

Denby in boathouse- summer.jpg
At rest in the boathouse at Denby Island
Denby 22.JPG
One last dip before heading for home
Denby 25.JPG
"Say, fellas...what's a 'trailer' ?"
Grant Stanfield

SK-22-169 "DENBY"
1954 Chris-Craft 22' Open Sea Skiff

tkhersom

Re: DENBY: 1954 22' Sea Skiff with a past!

Post by tkhersom » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:48 am

Nice find Grant!

Congratulations!
Troy in ANE - Former President CCABC

1957 CC 21' Continental "Yorktown" (Mom's boat)
https://www.chris-craft.org/boats/22625/
1985 Formula 242LS "Gottago"
1991 Formula 36PC "Band Aids"

Life Is Too Short To Own An Ugly Boat

DLKster

Post by DLKster » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:44 am

Nice boat, Grant! I see that is #169. Mine is #155, also built at Cadillac.

Interesting the way they customized the forward bulkhead to accommodate the searchlight control knob
on the starboard side. Does it match on the port side? Looks like a real solid boat, and I like
that color, never saw one in blue. And I thought if they installed a toilet, they also had the hatch
in the front deck. Mine does. Have fun with it.

Joe Carlson and I have had some "Sea Skiff" decals made -- contact him (or me offline)
The early boats had decals. not the pot metal emblems. I think they are $20 a pair.

regards, Dave
Dave Konick
Washington, VA
1951 16' Riviera
1954 22' Sea Skiff

Grant Stanfield

Post by Grant Stanfield » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:09 am

Thanks for your kind comments, guys!

Dave- I'm glad you like this one...I've always had a fascination with your boat and the way you make the most of her capabilities! You've set the benchmark pretty high!

My hull card confirms SEA SKIFF decals on the hull (I want to use the pair of nicely patinated chrome logos I paid a fortune for but I'm an originality-freak so I might not). Can you send pix of the decals you had made up? Sounds like they did not say Chris-Craft...only Sea Skiff...

The toilet and hatch were individual options that went best when ordered together...DENBY does not have the deck hatch. I'm just glad I get the ventilating windshield...PLUS I'm obsessed with the '54's early-style dash layout.

I've not seen a 1st-generation 22' in blue before this, either...but I'll let you know that she was shipped in WHITE (my Research Pack from the Mariners Museum suggests that all the Cadillac-built '54 models were white...with the pastel hull-color options following with the 1955 roll-out of the rest of the Sea Skiff Fleet. The original owner confirmed that when his Dad bought the boat new, it was white. He immediately changed her hull color to BLACK (this I've seen), then in later years to the correct-ish BLUE she is today. At least they were all CC Skiff colors...and I won't feel too bad if I re-finish in a fourth color. I'm partial to the pastel aqua-green. I promise not to change a single thing at all this season...I intend to enjoy DENBY 'as-found' for some time!

I don't know the back-story to the Iva-Lite control box...it's only on the starboard side but it's very well-made and in a style that looks very much like the cabinets in CC cruisers of that era...leading me to believe it was custom-built at Cadillac that way...thoughts? I have no clue what the little white switch below the spotlight does yet. The rest of the helm controls are hidden away under the helm seat, leaving a very clean, zen-like dash panel.

I'll post more pictures once I get her cleaned up a bit...she still has dust and spider webs from the boathouse! You won't believe the originality of the K engine and the backs of the instruments, the original set of cushions, and some period CC accessories...like a reference textbook!!

Thanks again- Grant
Denby 23.JPG
Maneuvering onto the trailer
Last edited by Grant Stanfield on Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Grant Stanfield

SK-22-169 "DENBY"

averagejoe

Post by averagejoe » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:55 pm

Hey Dave, DENBY is cool with BLUE. But personal preference is more important. Joe Tebo, The Keeper of the Sea Skiff Charlotte Ann. I would love to see a photo the Iva Lite control & the routing of the control cable.

drrot

Post by drrot » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:34 pm

Grant,
Was it at the rock "Castle"? I used to spend a lot of time on the 3 lakes chain. Never seen "Denby" out being used.
Jim Staib
www.finewoodboats.com

1947 Penn Yan 12' Cartopper WXH474611
1950 Chris-Craft 22' Sportsman U-22-1532
1957 Chris-Craft 26' Sea Skiff SK-26-515
1968 Century 17' Resorter FG-68-174

Grant Stanfield

Post by Grant Stanfield » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:33 am

Hi, Jim-

Yep, that's the place!

Denby Island was owned by the people who were the power behind the BRINKS company's successful growth and expansion, and are credited with inventing the armored car. The impressive stone Tudor was built in 1928 as their summer residence, and the larger main part of the island features an ornate horse barn and greenhouse. See a few pics below...

The island finally sold out of the family last year, so DENBY (the boat) became superfluous to their needs, despite their long history with her. If you google "Denby Island" there's an interesting blog entry called "Mystery Island" that's full of intrigue and misconceptions- the writer later stated many facts once she had researched more of Denby Island's true history. Check it out...it's fun to share in a bit of that story now with their nice old Skiff!

A few people I've met during this transaction had vague recollections of the blue boat; that they'd seen it only when the boathouse doors were open, and that it never sat out at the dock overnight...always tucked in for bed!

Incidentally, when you own a private island, you also need water access from the 'mainland', so Denby Island also had a wooded lake-front lot with a garage for automobiles, plus another dock to pick up guests, luggage and groceries with DENBY. I'll assume they kept a dinghy to get out to the boathouse to bring DENBY in, unless they simply rang the caretaker for a pick-up..?

-Grant
Denby Island aerial.jpg
Partial aerial view of Denby Island
Denby Island boathouses.jpg
Denby Island boathouses
denby island boathouses 3.png
Catwalk between the boathouses
Denby Island water view.jpg
Denby Island water approach
Denby Island water view.jpg (31.78 KiB) Viewed 3564 times
Denby in boathouse- winter.JPG
Winter's rest up on timbers
Last edited by Grant Stanfield on Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grant Stanfield

SK-22-169 "DENBY"

Grant Stanfield

Post by Grant Stanfield » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:14 am

I've added some more photos to DENBY's web page in the hull registry, with some neat details and sweet CC swag that came with the boat!

Here's the link into the hull registry: http://www.chris-craft.org/registry/vie ... at_id=2084#
Denby 17.JPG
Grant Stanfield

SK-22-169 "DENBY"

SteveH

Post by SteveH » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:59 pm

Hey grant,

A real beauty congratulations. Here's another one in blue - mine! Never envisioned another color. Finally nailed it about a month ago - kinda heritage blue.

Last week she emerged from the belly of the snake (the shop) for her first float in 15 years.

Also love dave's yellow and quite like them in black, but two buds have lyman's in black, so blue was. No brainer for me.

More and better pics from launch to come - on my mobile.

Steve
Attachments
IMG_00000036.jpg

1959 22' Sea Skiff (2263)
16 ft. Oughtred Penny Fee
17 ft. Devlin Oarling

Grant Stanfield

Post by Grant Stanfield » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:03 am

Hi, Steve-

Love your 22' Sea Skiff- the deep navy is timeless and sets off the mahogany beautifully. Please send more pictures once she's launched! I'm expecting to run some sea trials myself- on Green Lake this coming weekend with our local Chris-Craft whisperer, Joe Norton of Norton Boat Works.

Here's another 22 I saw online in black, which was how the original owner painted DENBY's hull once she was delivered (in white). The early 22's look GREAT in any color; and they seem to look even better in person instead of just drooling over them in pictures. There's something about the proportions: that short foredeck, long-long cockpit, and the shaping and placement of the windshield that really sings to me. Traditional, spartan, salty...and wicked elegant! Let the others fight over their varnished hulls...

This black one has one jarring note- some wag has painted all the brightwork in what looks like a match for CC red bilge paint! (Now it's one thing to be practical-minded, but this is too much..!) :shock:
red mahogany gone wrong.jpg
Red mahogany gone wrong!
Thanks for your reply!
Last edited by Grant Stanfield on Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grant Stanfield

SK-22-169 "DENBY"

57skiff

Post by 57skiff » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:38 am

Since your boat is so original do you know what color the factory floorboards were? How and what type of screws were used to secure them? My 57skiff boards are painted red and I believe they may have been replaced as they are secured with "deck" screws! Are there any chrome strips along the seams? Thanks George

Grant Stanfield

Post by Grant Stanfield » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:08 am

Hi, 57skiff-

The entire inside of the hull save for the natural, varnished sections of the cockpit sides between the gunwale and the mahogany molding just below the seat risers is factory-issued "beige". It's a neutral, mellow greyed-tan/khaki color; unfortunately, DENBY's original owners had her floorboards and hull-sides up to the risers repainted in CC bilge grey, which is incorrect. This probably happened when the plywood floor panels needed a touch-up and the original beige could not be sourced- thus the grey. I'm thankful that they left the forepeak, the stern area behind the bench and the side-step locker interiors in the original beige, so I'll be able to color-match to this and correct the grey deck situation in time... see the images below.

I've seen lots of Sea Skiffs that have entirely varnished hull interiors, stem-to-stern, with ONLY the floorboards in beige. I'll assume Salisbury started doing this at some point, and either look is correct..?

The floorboards themselves have wooden edge moldings that secure and trim out their edges at the hull, and DENBY has a similar floor-level finish molding behind the front seat. My 18' Sea Skiff doesn't have this level of detail- perhaps it was on all 22's or maybe it was only on the '54's...not certain yet.

There is no chrome or stainless trim anywhere on the floors- just simple wood. I really appreciate the basic work-boat flavor of the early skiffs, so I will resist the urge to 'tart it up' with chrome flourishes or teak & holly decking...I just don't think that's the spirit of the thing, personally. Less can be more...

The vast majority of trim fasteners on DENBY are the old Reed & Prince (clocked, no less!) but I haven't studied the floorboard screws yet (just got her home). I'll try to notice this soon.

Thanks for your question!
Denby 39.JPG
Beige bilge/hull paint in forepeak
Denby 36.JPG
Beige is correct- not grey: The portside step/locker
Denby 42.JPG
Beige in the forepeak again...
Denby 40.JPG
And once more...
Denby 20.JPG
Plain wood finish molding- flooring is currently grey
Grant Stanfield

SK-22-169 "DENBY"

57skiff

Post by 57skiff » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:07 am

Grant---many thanks for the great reply! As you surmised my boat SK-22-1040 came from Salsbury and is varnished on all the hull interior---- now I guess the big question is what is the "beige " color?? Anyone know?

Grant Stanfield

Post by Grant Stanfield » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:12 pm

57skiff-

The CC "beige" bilge paint is much lighter/paler than the deep taupe color that I've seen in Lymans- it's very attractive but if you used it on a Sea Skiff I'm afraid it would be too..."Lyman-y." Sorry- is that even a word? Perhaps "Lymanesque" is better? The Lyman shade almost looks like camouflage or Dull Dead Grass, with brown/green tones in it.

Anyway, I'm hoping some of the old-school marine paint shops like Kirby's will say, 'Oh, yes, we still have six dusty cans of that CC Bilge Beige on our shelves...we can ship them out to you if you have the need..."

I'm sure you could try to do a custom Deck & Porch-style paint if necessary, but I'm not sure if it would bond to old, oily timber like good old bilge paint formulas...I just hope it still exists or can be mixed fresh.
Lyman Islander.jpg
Lyman Islander -Hessel, MI
Grant Stanfield

SK-22-169 "DENBY"

SteveH

Post by SteveH » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:28 pm

Great to see some skiff activity. Great picks Grant. Here are few more of mine.

Just got her on a new trailer - needs to come forward a snert and a few more bunks to add.

I think my floorboards are original - no edging. Despite a ton of small hole and redrills, they are in great shape. I will plug and finsih this winter.

My boat was all varnish on the inside and I elected to paint from the risers down to the floor - bilge to come later. I like the look. I struggled with color and right under my nose was Interlux Grand Banks Beige. I love it. Lighter than the Lyman Sand Tan. It came with Bristol Beige on floor, but that wasn't for me.

Check out the origonal top! Its is in decent to good shape. Gave it a scrub and a spray with 303 (I know some will say leave it) and it sheds really well.

Look forward to staying in touch.
Attachments
IMG_00000054.jpg
IMG_00000056.jpg

17 ft. Devlin Oarling

Grant Stanfield

Post by Grant Stanfield » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:58 am

SteveH-

Beautiful boat, and that custom trailer is wonderful. You'll be sure to have fun with her, right?

The original top is a wonderful thing to have; DENBY never had a top added- she was not issued with one at Cadillac and the original owners really had no need for one. There's no convincing evidence that she was ever seriously used for fishing or waterskiing, so I'm sure that beyond serving as a water-taxi she may only have been used as a fair-weather day boat.

I love the lines of the folding top; the way they jump up slightly from the windshield header to the first bow and then level off and run with the sheerline. They also take a neat turn onto the first 1/3 of the side-shields- it's a sleek design and I personally love the way they can be neatly furled BEHIND the windshield. Lots of other boats have really crap-tastic looking canvas enclosures; the Sea Skiffs had a neat and tailored look when so equipped. Just be sure not to jack it up for better headroom, they look best L-O-W above your head, like yours. Nice side-curtains, too! The khaki and deep blue will be a winning combination.

Are you retaining your red boot stripe ...or going without? the (Open) Sea Skiffs from the fifties did not have them originally but many have had them added later on. I just remember that they're a REAL DRAG to paint onto a lapstrake hull- you'll either get really good at careful masking and cutting all those crazy zig-zags...OR you'll get really good at touching up the three different colors that get messed up! :roll: With the navy and a bronze bottom, have you considered a dazzling white waterline?? Very nice...

I'm a huge fan of the permanent top option, too, though I've never seen one in captivity. I'd love to see all that beautiful, varnished ceiling structure from the helm, but then you lose the choice of having open sky above. They're sure good-looking, though!
Sea Skiff hardtop 1.jpg
1954 22' with permanent top option
another 22 hardtop.jpg
Another sexy 22' hardtop
OFF-TOPIC: I'm including a picture I discovered online while skiff-shopping: It's another 1st-gen. 22' (I think it was for sale in Michigan) that I believe to be equipped with the factory "gas throttle and steering lever (for fishing)" at the starboard stern seat! Super-cool...and the first one I've seen anywhere. I love the way they recycled the steering wheel throttle and horn assembly to create this. I wonder how many were built this way?
Fishing throttle & tiller on a 22.jpg
Stern controls on an early 22' Sea Skiff-NICE!!
Grant Stanfield

SK-22-169 "DENBY"

SteveH

Post by SteveH » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:17 pm

Grant,

The top was a welcomed addition and a need as this boat will be out in the elements. I will also look for a mooring cover at some point, but bitten off enough for now. Yep, she will get well used and stay in the water for the season. I think the top looks cool as well. The PO said that the curtains were done, but they just had a weird film on them. The stuff wouldn't budge under dry thumb, but a warm bath with some mild suds took it right off. When I was searching I saw a lot of 22's as well. The one below also has a decent looking top in my opinion - the proportions fit - I've seen this on Lyman's. The rear curtain on mine is droopy, but maybe another pole or batten will help. I get puddles.

The top will stay up much of the time in the sun - wish I had your windows. I am considering a project this winter to fix that. I would love to study a venting windshield to see if I could reproduce it to an extent from mine.

The trailer is basic, but will work well when configured. I wanted the flexibility with storgae and service needs - and to cruise some other waters as well.

Ah yes, the boot strip. It may not appear so, but it looked wavy enough to look sloppy. I will float it to get an accurate waterline - can't find the scribes. For whatever reason, I left some gap and will likely paint up if all goes to plan. I did not go with a boot strip on my little lap sailboat build and like the look, so we'll see. To BS or not, that is a question.

Still some stuff to do - alignment for one.
Attachments
sea skiff with trailer.PNG

17 ft. Devlin Oarling

DLKster

Post by DLKster » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:13 pm

I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but that is not an original canvass top on the blue boat.
Mine is made from the factory originals except for the windows. It had square windows.
I made my windows a little larger on the height than the originals. If you want to see pix
of the originals that came with my boat, I'll send them and measurements when I get a chance.

But maybe by 1956 or '57, they made changes. Like the sistered ribs. I see a lot
of details in that boat that are different from mine, like the way the steering pipe is mounted.
The extra ribs sure do look like it was done by Salisbury. Down there is where they started varnishing
the bilges, a genuniely stupid idea only Chris Craft could think up for a plywood boat. What morons!

Some research might reveal change authorizations or whatever they are called. Don Ayers
knows that and where to find them, if they were preserved. They changed a lot of stuff,
like placement of the steering box (probably happened when they changed the bulkhead
and instrument cluster in c. 1955 or 1956) over the years. They changed the vent on the
gas tanks from port to starboard -- who knows why.

The rear steering was an option, but I never saw the throttle also installed like that one
Grant posted the picture of -- also something funky about that read bench seat -- looks
way high -- maybe that had the fishbox option.

regards, Dave
November 19, 2011 002.JPG
Attachments
P1010042 - Copy.JPG
Dave Konick
Washington, VA
1951 16' Riviera
1954 22' Sea Skiff

SteveH

Post by SteveH » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:25 am

None taken - sure smelt original! I think your right. One clue that baffled me was the main support rod must be removed from its female connector (I think they are called eye ends) in order for the top to be stored forward of the cabin hatch - thats a pain.

17 ft. Devlin Oarling

DLKster

Post by DLKster » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:13 am

That is the reason your top is so low -- the mounting doo-dads are too far forward.
Hence, the ass-end is too low, and you can't slide the front bow up high enough to where
it should be, and your bows crash into the top of the windshield when you try to fold it down.

Somewhere else in here (last summer?) I posted pix of the brackets and where they are mounted.
http://www.chris-craft.org/discussion/v ... =29&t=7554

But the best way is to see when the bows (assuming they are original or if repleacements, the proper
length and properly bent) just barely clear the windshield. Don't forget the thickness of the canvas
also has to clear it, but when in the proper position, it will be tight at the top when it clears. If your
fingers are in there when you fold it down, they will be smashed! That is the test -- it is in the factory
top mounting instructions right from Chris Craft!

The top of the top from the rear to the forward bow should be level when it is in the correct position.
You also have to monkey around with the front bow mounts once you get the rear bow brackets in the
right spot. Look on what I posted last year and you will see the approximate position.
Attachments
Vintage+Chris+Craft[1].jpg
Dave Konick
Washington, VA
1951 16' Riviera
1954 22' Sea Skiff

SteveH

Post by SteveH » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:54 am

Man, I like that yellow.

So, I had to check to remember, but my poles are too short. The mount is about where yours are in your other post and they are through bolted. No other tell-tales in the area - looks like they are where they were intended.

My top drops to about 2/3 up the deck hatch when in the mounts and falls within the windshields That is the reason why I have to remove them to get it to rest forward of the hatch.

I lifted the pole up and out of the mounts like they were extended from the mounts by about 3-4 inches and everything improved. Moving the mounts back does nothing to help storage, but finding a way to extend the pole would - or solve with new poles. The tubing is 5/8s OD and that doesn't appear to be very common at the boat stuff store.

I will monkey around some more, but think the fiddling will help flatten the windows and make it all a bit better.

Thanks for your ideas.

17 ft. Devlin Oarling

DLKster

Post by DLKster » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:00 am

There's the positioning, it is about a half an inch or so where the side windows come to the side rail.
Attachments
July - 2013 039.JPG
Dave Konick
Washington, VA
1951 16' Riviera
1954 22' Sea Skiff

Grant Stanfield

Post by Grant Stanfield » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:29 pm

Happy 1st Anniversary, DENBY!

Our new 1954 22' Sea Skiff DENBY came home from Three Lakes, WI to Green Lake, WI 1 year ago today; a long but very pleasant and memorable day!
Denby Island aerial map.jpg
Denby's home waters for 60 years- the Chain O'Lakes surrounding Denby Island
Denby 27.JPG
SK-22-169: DENBY ready for the long ride to her new home port
IMG_0002.JPG
DENBY in her 1st Green Lake Wooden Boat Club classic show

I'm also including an interesting period ad from the 12/55 issue of MotorBoating: Gregory Boat Co. in Detroit was Denby's original selling dealer; she was delivered there new after June 7, 1954. Within a year, she was sold again from Joe's Marine Service in Eagle River, WI and thus began her long-time service on Denby Island. Notice that they are advertising fresh 1956 Sea Skiffs for sale...imagine picking one up new!!
Gregory Boat Co. ad 12-55.jpg
Gregory Boat Co. in Detroit was Denby's first stop before going to WI north woods
Grant Stanfield

SK-22-169 "DENBY"