Honey, have you finished fixing Elude yet? 1937 35' Cruiser

Framing, planking and fairing. Repair, or reconstruction. If it's hull related, you'll find it here.

Re: Honey, have you finished fixing Elude yet? 1937 35' Crui

Postby joanroy » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:36 am

Rob, great work on the Dutchman and plank edge repairs. That'll paint up nice! I've learned over the years the years, with any restoration, knowing what NOT to throw away is key. Thanks for the progress report.
joanroy

Postby robertpaul » Wed May 03, 2017 10:13 pm

I haven't posted for a while because I have been thwarted by inconsistent weather. It is not warm enough yet to attach the inner bottom or glue up a couple of frame repairs which must precede the bottom installation. The next five days may set a consecutive days record for cold and rain in Toronto for May, so I am stuck. I am pre-drilling the inner bottom, adding another coat of bilge paint and sealing, but that is pretty tedious stuff that I am doing in my garage at home. Installing the new plywood inner bottom should begin next week if the weather finally improves. Here is a picture of the final dry fit of the port planks I repaired when the weather in feb and march was better than April and may.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1937 35' Double Stateroom Enclosed Cruiser
robertpaul

Postby joanroy » Fri May 05, 2017 5:44 am

The weather sucks. Launched the Joan Roy Wednesday thinking I'd get some varnishing done in the water, but the forecast is wet and cold. At least she's in and the rain won't interfere with my favorite boating activity. Boat Napping.

Can't wait to see the bottom going back onto Elude. Very exciting!
joanroy

Postby jfrprops » Fri May 05, 2017 8:30 am

Excellent progress....really nice continuing coverage you are providing...>AND.....it is still on Boat Buzz! Traffic on this site is being hurt by Fakebook IMHO....

keep at it, nice work.

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)
jfrprops

Postby robertpaul » Sat May 27, 2017 3:00 pm

Well..... it has been raining and cool and generally nasty. The floor under the shelter gets wet when water runs under the bottom and makes working underneath a major pain in the butt. So I don't bother. But today I was able to get back at it and finally started installing the port inner bottom. I dropped the keelson as well and re-installed it with sealant/adhesive. The plywood panels I did today went in nicely too. I had predrilled them to allow for the temporary screws so it was just a matter of applying the goop and fastening them up. As I install outer planks later on, I will remove the temporary screws as I go along. With any luck the weather will continue to dry out and I will be able to press on. I also finished up repairs to the port side frames. Sorry for not posting more but I did not have anything new to share. I will post more often now that I can work in a dry environment. Lake Ontario is now only 2 feet below the level of the boat yard where Elude sits.... I have never seen the water this high.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1937 35' Double Stateroom Enclosed Cruiser
robertpaul

Postby joanroy » Sun May 28, 2017 6:16 pm

Nice fit on your inner ply. What did you use for bedding? Guess you'll have to geterdone before she floats away. Looking Good!
joanroy

Previous

Return to Hull Construction