Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Fitting Bottom Planks

Framing, planking and fairing. Repair, or reconstruction. If it's hull related, you'll find it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

JacobErdey

Fitting Bottom Planks

Post by JacobErdey » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:22 pm

Alright, I'm not going to lie...I've been pretty intimidated by this coming task for months now, and it's finally time to pounce. The original planks I pulled off the boat are pretty useless considering the deterioration/previous hog/random globs of fiberglass etc. so I was just looking for advice on my best angle of attack to start fitting the new bottom strakes. Should I start at the chines at the bow, or at the keel at the transom??? I know there are some rounded joints towards the bow where they meet the chines, that shouldn't be too difficult, I just don't have a clue where to start. HELP :? And it's a 1950 Sportsman 18
Current Project: 1950 Chris Craft Sportsman 18'

Don Danenberg

Re: Fitting Bottom Planks

Post by Don Danenberg » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:40 am

I always start by fitting the curves at the bow, along the keel, these might need trimming to get the shape right. Use your old planks to mark where each started along the gripe. I cut out new plank 'blanks' a bit longer than simply tracing to make up for any sliding forward due to trimming to fit the curve. When the fwd end is fit, trim the butt end to be placed where the buttblock fits between frames. I cut out the followers a few inches long as well and trim those to overhang the transom bow after the bottom is on.

JacobErdey

Re: Fitting Bottom Planks

Post by JacobErdey » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:24 am

Alrighty, that's exactly the direction I was looking for. Thanks as always, sir.
Current Project: 1950 Chris Craft Sportsman 18'