Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

From Archive: Canvas Cabin Tops by Dale Harris

Framing, planking and fairing. Repair, or reconstruction. If it's hull related, you'll find it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Club Archivist
Site Admin

From Archive: Canvas Cabin Tops by Dale Harris

Post by Club Archivist » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:44 pm

What is the normal canvas weight that Chris-Craft used on cabin tops and are most people (except purists) turning to (gasp!) Dynel or FG to replace canvas?

Dale Harris
1955 29' Semi-Enclosed Cruiser "Mon Ami"
Posted by Club Archivist
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This topic was reposted from Memberclicks archive

Club Archivist
Site Admin

From Archive: Canvas Cabin Tops by Boatwerker

Post by Club Archivist » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:45 pm

#10 natural duck and no, i lay plenty canavss down still. dynell and fg are great for their intended application. they are the 10 yr kiss of death for the cabintop. A customer is now facing the daunting task of removing their dynell job that they did four yrs ago because it will not stop cracking...this is a 1936 cruiser and the dynell replaced what was most likely the original canvas.... hmmmm me thinks i like the cotton. (done right that is)
-caleb
Posted by Club Archivist

Club Archivist
Site Admin

From Archive: Canvas Cabin Tops by John Callahan

Post by Club Archivist » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:20 am

Caleb,
In one of your posts , you mention borate in applying canvas to decks. Would you mind telling us what it is and how it helps. I have used wet canvas over wet oil based paint and it works fine with oil based (porch & deck enamel) on the canvas after it dries. Leaves the weave of the canvas apparent, providing a non-skid surface, and a pleasing soft, low-gloss appearance. It is very durable and may be repainted a number of times before cracking begins. I guess the proper way is to bed it in a heavy layer of white lead, troweled on, but don't know where to get white lead anymore.
Thanks,
John Callahan
Posted by Club Archivist

Club Archivist
Site Admin

From Archive: Caulking Decks by Boatwerker

Post by Club Archivist » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:22 am

white lead can be ordered form goe kirby paint co. The borate i am reffering is disodium octoborate, used to be sold under the brand ship-bor. No longer available but i think i have a new source. it is water soluable and i mix it in the warm water i use to shrink the canvas after it is applied. i will let you know if i can order this stuff, it looks like i have to order a signifigant qty, maybe we can split up an order

-caleb
Posted by Club Archivist

Club Archivist
Site Admin

From Archive: Canvas Cabin Tops by Steve Smith

Post by Club Archivist » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:24 am

Tim-Bor is a trade name of U. S. Borax for disodium octaborate, and should be readily available. Pest Control Operators spray a water solution of it on wood routinely. Look in a Target store, for instance, in the garden section......

Borate is an excellent fungicide for wood or canvas. The finished object must be sealed-up, away from rain, else the borate dissolves and leaches away. White lead, on the other hand, will be there tomorrow. If you favor the belt-and suspenders approach, you can always use both.

Steve Smith
Posted by Club Archivist

Club Archivist
Site Admin

From Archive: Canvas Cabin Tops by Shuntoon

Post by Club Archivist » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:25 am

What do you think about this - using the pait as the adhesive? The Rot Doctor has a two part urethane product that might serve as the paint. They say that its best if applied over CEPS which works into my plans - since much of the deckhoiuse is being dismantled to replace some of the visible mahogany. Actually, they say that there is no need for the cotton unless we want it there as a matter of principle.

Ron, Hope to reach you on our visit to Seattle. There is now some question of whether we'll get there at all - at least this weekend. Hope so. Regardless, thanks for the time and advice.
Posted by Club Archivist

Club Archivist
Site Admin

From Archive: Canvas Cabin Tops by Boatwerker

Post by Club Archivist » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:26 am

all i know is what i have seen and the traditional systems (bonding with one part oil paint cut with linseed oil) works well on convex surfaces. dont try it on flat ones, it doesnt stay down well. white lead paste works rather similarly. Modern Two part urethane and traditional canvas dont seem to me to be a good mix. the first coat of paint needs to be 50-60%linseed oil...if it aint broke, dont fix it and reinvent the wheel or somethin like that

-caleb
Posted by Club Archivist

Club Archivist
Site Admin

From Archive: Canvas Cabin Tops by John Callahan

Post by Club Archivist » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:27 am

This list is great!!! Am currently working on a 23' Cruisers Inc., replacing original Naut-O-Lex with canvas. You guys have answered all my questions.

Thanks,
John Callahan
Posted by Club Archivist