Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

From Archive: Deckhouse and Cabin Decking by Shuntoon

Framing, planking and fairing. Repair, or reconstruction. If it's hull related, you'll find it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Club Archivist
Site Admin

Post by Club Archivist » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:52 pm

Over the past two years, the decking fabric of our 1960 Constellation has begun to delaminate and develop large unsightly "bubbles".  No leaks, but very unattractive.  I presume the construction is cotton duck glued on with some sort of adhesive.  I want to replace it. 

I am not sure if the boat has its original covering.  Probably not, a radar tower added at some later date seems to have some unfinished areas near the hole in its base where the cable passes through.  And, while the fabric seems to be cotton, but I'm not sure what the current adhesive might be.  Last year I talked to a boat carpenter who recommended something called lagging compound to attach the material, but I haven't seen any products that call themselves that. 

Any one have any experience &/or know of any references on technique and materials?

Shuntoon
Posted by Club Archivist
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This topic was reposted from Memberclicks archive

Club Archivist
Site Admin

From Archive: Deckhouse and Cabin Decking by Caleb

Post by Club Archivist » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:53 pm

I think a 1960 connie had Nautolex vinyl on as a covering altho some cruisers had canvas into the 60s. your mariners museum hull card will tell you that- good 20 dollar investment

I use nautolux 88 adhesive to hold it down, works well and sticks like the dickens -caleb
Posted by Club Archivist

Club Archivist
Site Admin

From Archive: Deckhouse and Cabin Decking by Dave Dillon

Post by Club Archivist » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:54 pm

Hi Caleb,
I'm not familiar with this "Mariners Museum Hull Card" that you refer to...   Can you tell me where I can get one?   What information will it provide me?
Thanks,
Dave Dillon
1963 42' Conqueror 
Boston, MA
Posted by Club Archivist

Club Archivist
Site Admin

Post by Club Archivist » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:55 pm

The mariners museum is the repository for all of the Chris-Craft archives including hull cards for nearly every boat built. www.mariner.org You need to give them your hull number and they will mail it to you with info on what else is avail. usually you can get blueprints and all. Looking in my book, it looks like the 42' conqueror had only 20 hulls built, #CBA-42 001 thru CBA-42 020. also says the deck is white vinyl (nautolex) and the cabintop is white (i presume painted?) with white exterior furnature and blue interior. The hull card will let you know what options were originally bought.
-caleb
Posted by Club Archivist

Club Archivist
Site Admin

From Archive: Deckhouse and Cabin Decking by Wilson Wright

Post by Club Archivist » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:57 pm

And then if the hull card refers to a BSO (Boat Shipping Order) you want to follow up and get that too. There  is a charge for copies from the Museum so you might want to ask before ordering.

Wilson
Posted by Club Archivist

Club Archivist
Site Admin

Post by Club Archivist » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:58 pm

Caleb, thanks for taking the time.

Any suggestion on the hip areas next to the deckhouse?  Its a smooth extension from the fabric on the deck, but rounds the corner over a rounded surface?  My current idea is to treat the fabric like wall paper - oveerlapping it and cutting it with a sharp knife so the joints are perfectly matched.

Shuntoon
Posted by Club Archivist

Club Archivist
Site Admin

Post by Club Archivist » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:59 pm

They originally installed the vinyl before the cabin was built (don't ask me how they kept from messing it up) and the vinyl tucked down between the deck and the cabinside. Neat installation but i have yet to find a customer willing to let me remove the cabin to keep it original.... I usually use (as most others do) a small quarter round in the corner. Bread the back corner off to allow for a good bead of caulk as a second sealant. (or bedding compound if you prefer) You have the idea on the seams altho some of the cruisers had their deck seams done by using a routed recess and a strip of wood which was wrapped in the vinyl. When it is done this way, there is only a  neat little tuck seam visible. I prefer this method and if you find yours to be done this way, ask and ill tell you how its done in more detail
-caleb
Posted by Club Archivist