Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

From Archive: CC Bottom frames by ASC56

Framing, planking and fairing. Repair, or reconstruction. If it's hull related, you'll find it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Club Archivist
Site Admin

From Archive: CC Bottom frames by ASC56

Post by Club Archivist » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:26 pm

I have a 1947 Chris Craft utility that needs a new bottom and several frame replacements.It occured to me that since cypress is more available than mahogany in the South could you plank the bottom with cypress up to the waterline and mahogany above?Has anyone had any experience with using cypress for planking?
Posted by Club Archivist
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This topic was reposted from Memberclicks archive

Club Archivist
Site Admin

From Archive: CC Bottom Frames by Tom Lang

Post by Club Archivist » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:28 pm

Where in the south are you? Here in Augusta, GA two of the USA's biggest hardwoods importers are within 60 miles of us, "Ackerson and Stephens" and "East Teak". They will not let you "pick thru it" but are very accomodating. I think African mahogany is about $3.60 per board ft. What they call "genuine" mahogany is honduras at about a buck more.

Ackerson and Stephens are the best, IMHO. You know that little tiny itty-bitty ad in WoodenBoat every month, that says teak at $3 per board ft with (SC) at the end?? That is them, they are in Ware Shoals, South Carolina, the middle of nowhere (but on a rail line). Talk to Eddie Smith at 864-456-7433.
Posted by Club Archivist
This topic was reposted from Memberclicks archive