Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

butting new bottom planks

Framing, planking and fairing. Repair, or reconstruction. If it's hull related, you'll find it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Hicksy

butting new bottom planks

Post by Hicksy » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:02 am

This boat that I am placing a new botoom on is a Century Coronado 1956.
I am having problems matching the edges together with the next plank. I have tried to line each board up to the one before it and I will mark all of the high spots and try to sand it down so that it will meet evenly. This works for the most part except I can't keep the edges square and I wind up with a void because both boards are not square to each other. How can I take a 10' board that is not straight and keep the edge aquare.
I have thought about perchasing either a table ocillating sander or a table router but like my jointer
they are made to sand a straight piece of wood. I have also read Dan's first restoration book and I can posible see how I can utilize the router job that he discribes but I can't figure out how to get around the compund curves and jogs in the bow end of each plank.
Tom Hicks Hicksy
I have a 1965 Century Coronado.
I am replacing the chines adding a new bottom & transom. This is my second Century, I did have a 1947 Sea Maid but lost it in a fire two years ago.