Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Mahogany

Framing, planking and fairing. Repair, or reconstruction. If it's hull related, you'll find it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

moparwiz

Mahogany

Post by moparwiz » Thu May 22, 2008 2:01 pm

Ok, I hope I am posting this in the right place.

Can someone tell me where I can be Mahogany planks or boards for my Chris Craft hull? I live about 60 miles from Houston and I cant seem to find anything there, but was hoping that maybe some of you might know a supplier that I can order from, they dont have to be in the Houston area, I will have it shipped here if need be. Please help!

Thanks,

James

rpccc43

Post by rpccc43 » Thu May 22, 2008 3:32 pm

James,

Try http://www.woodfinder.com/. I typed in a Houston Zip code and came up with 10. The closest one was Brazos. Good Luck.

Randman

David M

Post by David M » Thu May 29, 2008 10:45 am

If you cant find any Phillipine Mahogany locally try LL Johnson Lumber, Charlotte Michigan. It's a long way from texas, I hate to think what the freight charges would be, but...................

John McConnell

Post by John McConnell » Fri May 30, 2008 3:36 pm

James, Alan Isley, a club member recommended the following source:

Contact Hardwood Lumber Company of Dallas, 10718 Goodnight Lane, Dallas, TX 75220, (972) 869-1230
www.hlcdallas.com

They let Alan look over their stock of wood, select the pieces he wanted for grain & color, then milled them to his size specifications while he waited. Very accomodating once they heard he was restoring a vintage boat.

Good Luck
John McConnell
'67, 40' Connie
Kokopelli

Kerry Price

Post by Kerry Price » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:16 pm

James,
What type of boat do you have? Do you know if you are looking for Phillipine, Genuine or African?
I live in Austin and was able to order my wood from a local lumber yard: Fine Plywood and Lumber. In my case I went with 6/4 African ribbon grain and had it re sawn so that I could plain the boards down to .50" for my planks. I trusted the yard and I'm happy with what they delivered. Thy can also get in Phillipine and Genuine but getting the Genuine quarter sawn will be difficult to find.
Good Luck!
Kerry
1946 20' Custom Runabout: R-20-092
1938 19' Sportsman: 19501
http://www.chris-craft.org/registry/vie ... oat_id=532