Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Original Bottom

Framing, planking and fairing. Repair, or reconstruction. If it's hull related, you'll find it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Sparkit

Original Bottom

Post by Sparkit » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:22 pm

Other than a good three day soaking, what methods exist for sealing the bottom of an original plank boat. If the paint is removed, can the boards be sealed? Is this the " west system method"?
Thanks, Paul

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:07 pm

Paul;

Based on your question you are at the bottom of a pretty big learning curve, but never fear the answers are out there.

First, You need to understand that having to soak your bottom for three days is not a good thing and show that it is worn out and most likely not very safe. Originally the bottom was never meant to have to be soaked. This is a misleading thing that many people started back in the 70's because they did not understand the original construction. From the factory your boat bottom was tight and did not leak and was expected to last 6-10 years depending on use and storage. the original materials and construction was made so that it could be taken apart and a new bottom could be installed.

There have been many people over the years come up with all kinds of interesting "patches" to try and make an old bottom last just one or two more seasons. But make no mistake there are very few original bottoms out there that are really that well preserved and still serviceable.

Questions for you:

What is the boat?
Do you have the books by Don Danenberg?

I think 90% of people who use "West" brand epoxy don't even understand what a true "West System" is. These words in themselves have been made up by people in the hobby to represent all manor of wrong ways of doing epoxy construction.

Best advice is stay active on this board and learn as much as you can so you can make informed decisions about how you want to deal with your wooden Chris.
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

James Bullbrook

Post by James Bullbrook » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:46 pm

Paul,
It sounds like you are at the point I was a couple of years ago. I've done a lot of research and question-asking about how to undertake a bottom restoration. I have an article in the next Brass Bell that outlines what I've learned. I also have some postings on my blog that cover some of the same material, but not in as much detail as the Brass Bell article.
http://1964constellation.blogspot.com/2 ... art-1.html

Steve Smith

Post by Steve Smith » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:57 pm

Hello, Paul

Please give me a mailing address, or call 1-800-234-0330 and give it, and I will send you a handful of Smith & Co. literature that will tell you more.

None of this encapsulates wood with epoxy. That [encapsulation] is something used for composite construction, with many thin veneers laid up over a form and laminated together. The antique and classic boats are built either lapstrake [planks overlapped] or carvel [planks butted edge-to-edge] and are basically plank-on-frame construction.

Do get Don's books, and in the meantime you could read all the websites in my signature lines.

Steve