Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Steam Bending

Framing, planking and fairing. Repair, or reconstruction. If it's hull related, you'll find it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

ed laning

Steam Bending

Post by ed laning » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:53 pm

Hi all,

I built a steam generator and chamber so that I can bend some replacement planks for my Connie. These boards are topsides near the stem and a couple on the the hull bottom where it is pretty curved. I did a test run last Saturday and it went pretty well on a sample piece of p. mahogany. Soaked the board in the lake for a week prior to the steaming. Anyone have experience with this practice and can give me some advice on the finer points?

thanks,

Ed

Kerry Price

Post by Kerry Price » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:43 am

I'm just now building a steam generator myself. I have decided to spend the few extra dollars and time to make the one recommended in Don Dannenbergs book. There are several good posts on his site relating to this subject. You can do a search with key word "steam bending" to pull up relative articals. He also has a whole chapter on the subject in his book. If you don't have it you may find it helpfull. Good luck!
1946 20' Custom Runabout: R-20-092
1938 19' Sportsman: 19501
http://www.chris-craft.org/registry/vie ... oat_id=532

ed laning

Steam Bending

Post by ed laning » Sun May 07, 2006 11:08 am

Hi Kerry,

I too built the one outlined in the Danenberg Runabouts book. I have book one. I read the chapter about steaming and found it interesting and helpful. The only problem I seem to be having is generating enough pure steam. I get a mixture of steam and very hot water that pulses out the end of the hose and into the steam chamber. The temp gauge indicates the chamber is 190 degrees not 212 like the book says it will get to. The book advised to use a 3500 watt H2O heater element. I started with a 3800 watt and then increased to a 4500 watt. I'll go over to Danenberg's site and search around for some answers. Thank you for your ideas. Ed