Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Danenberg Flip-Over Rigging

Framing, planking and fairing. Repair, or reconstruction. If it's hull related, you'll find it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

gcline

Danenberg Flip-Over Rigging

Post by gcline » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:48 pm

Does anyone have experience using Don Danenberg's flip-over rigging as described in his book? If so, what materials did you use, where did you find them, and do you have any additional suggestions using this process to flip your boat? It seems a large investment for a very infrequent use, maybe a set of the rigging could be shared over a 100 mile geographical area by the members???

drrot

Post by drrot » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:45 pm

Where are you located and how big is the boat? I have a set-up in McHenry, IL 60050 you are welcome to borrow. Not the same. Made from a trailer axle. Used it to flip my U-22 and 24' triple with no problems.

parroteyes

Post by parroteyes » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:45 am

I flipped mine last week. Could have done it by myself, but I did have a "watcher" who lent a hand.

I used an "improved" Danenberg rig.

Since my boat is small - 16' - I needed only one sling to do the lifting. A larger boat would require two.

Materials for each rig (I used one, you may need two):

6 8' 2X6
2 Wheel barrow wheels, tires removed
10 or so 2X6 spacers about 8" each
Misc. scrap plywood to strengthen constructed beams.
Misc. boards to stabilize rig.
1 - 24' strap, like truckers use to tie down loads, with ratchet. Mine was 3" I think.
1 - strap with ratchet, can be shorter and lighter than the main strap (used to turn the boat over, after it is suspended on main strap)
1 - bunch of big nails or screws.

I used treated lumber because after I am done with the rig, it is going into a deck project.

I put my rig just forward of the center of gravity of the boat. The stern required about 50# to lift. At the stern, I used an engine hoist rigged with a two wheel pulley and a 40' rope wrapped twice under the boat and through the pulleys. This stabilized the stern and allowed me to adjust the elevation of the stern as the boat rolled. If you have helpers (2 or 3) you can man handle the stern.

I have more pictures if you need them to see how I built my rig.

The advantages over Don's rig include:

Ceiling clearance is reduced.
There is no structure beyond the stem or stern.
The hoisting straps run vertical, instead of at an angle to meet Don's single rotation point.
The wheels can be bought at Loew's or HD.

Hope this helps.

In the pictures you will see that I built my castered support to hold the boat after the flip inside the boat before I flipped it. That way I just lowered it onto the castered stand after I turned it over. The extra strap between the stern and the rig held the stand.

John

Hull # 16-R-OX2 (March 1946)
Engine 1B #26564

That's me 1950 - already a CC lover!

gcline

flip over rigging

Post by gcline » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:03 am

Jim,
Thank you for your offer to use your setup and the picture. The picture provides a good alternative to the pipe and bearings. I see the two chain hoists to hold the axle and the rims to allow the straps to rotate, but how did you pull the boats over? Our first boat to flip over is my son's 18' 1959 CC continental. What is the distance between the rims? Have you considered altering the center portion of the axle to be able to slide together or expand to vary the width? We live around Muncie, IN which is 270 miles from you. Will consider your offer, thanks again.

George

parroteyes

Post by parroteyes » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:58 am

George

It does not show in the picture but to roll the boat, after it is up and free to "run" on the wheels, I used another strap with ratchet. Hook one end (the one with the ratchet) of that strap to the overhead rigging. Run the strap under the boat and hook it to the gunnel on the other side. Now ratchet the strap. It will turn the boat. As the boat comes "over center" it will start to turn on its own. In my case that was not a problem, it turned slowly and stopped on its own. Don's book mentions this method.

John
Hull # 16-R-OX2 (March 1946)
Engine 1B #26564

That's me 1950 - already a CC lover!

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:34 pm

Great info...Thanks John