Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Canvas deck covering replacement

Framing, planking and fairing. Repair, or reconstruction. If it's hull related, you'll find it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Beanstalk

Canvas deck covering replacement

Post by Beanstalk » Wed May 10, 2006 4:50 pm

On my 1958 CC 25' semi-enclosed cruiser, the deck covering (canvas) is beginning to crack and crumble as it meets the covering boards aft. The rest of the deck is still beautiful, and all is original with just one coat of paint since built.

Is it possible to patch in a repair, avoiding full replacement of the covering? There is approx. a 4" x 6" area of delamination on each side of the boat. I don't want to cobble it up - but I also hate to tear into an otherwise beautiful original deck.

If I decide to recanvas, does the canvas lie under the toe rail and king plank (for lack of a better term), making it necessary to remove both to do the job?

I have a photo of the deck that shows the toe rail/king plank that I can email. I can take pics of the delaminated areas, too. Contact me at [email protected] for pics.

Thanks! John
1958 25' Semi-enclosed

J. William Tarbrake

Post by J. William Tarbrake » Wed May 10, 2006 8:40 pm

Hi John,
You looked at my 1958 Semi Enclosed before you bought yours and I later sold mine to your buddy Kevin Proffitt. Any way I am very familiar with your boat as I recently did extensive restoration on its twin.
I can tell you for an absolute fact that the canvass runs underneath both the king plank and the toe rail on your boat. It also runs underneath the windshield which will pose the biggest problem if you choose to replace the canvass. While the toe rails and king plank are quite easily removed, the windshield will pose a bit of a problem. You are dealing with nearly 50 year old rubber gaskets which you will destroy as you remove them. I found replacements from a vendor in California, however the were quite expensive.
The other difficult area is to both sides and aft of the windshield where the canvas goes under the side mahogany trim. Look at Kevin's boat and you will see how I handled this area by using some quarter round moulding.
I believe that I have some pics. of my boat as I was doing the canvass replacement. Let me know if you need them or anything else.
Bill
J. William Tarbrake
1967 Chris Craft 40' Constellation
"Cats Meow"

Beanstalk

Post by Beanstalk » Wed May 10, 2006 9:12 pm

Hello Bill,

Thanks for the info - should have just called you! Do you recall the paint color (code?) you used over your canvas?

Kevin and I are having a lot of fun with our identical twins here in Knoxville. We joined up with the "Vol Navy" at a UT football game last Fall, rafting side-by-side. It was fun to see so many people walk past millions of dollars worth of plastic to gather around a couple of old wooden boats. I'm thinking of naming ours "Yes, it is a lot of work!"

I still hope to find a way of saving the original canvas, making small, inconspicuos repairs where needed (where the canvas ends and the cockpit covering boards begin). So if any of you have any ideas, please share.

Thanks,
John
1958 25' Semi-enclosed

J. William Tarbrake

Post by J. William Tarbrake » Wed May 10, 2006 9:27 pm

John,
I probably still have some paint left over from when I painted my deck. I will look tomorrow and see if the mixing code is on the label.
Perhaps you could very carefully cut out the bad area with a razor blade and glue in a piece of replacement canvass, seal the seams with some gluvit or epoxy and then repaint the whole deck with a uniform color. If done properly it should look pretty good from 3 or 4feet away.
Bill
J. William Tarbrake
1967 Chris Craft 40' Constellation
"Cats Meow"