Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

From Archive: Shaft Alignment by Louie Demmer

Framing, planking and fairing. Repair, or reconstruction. If it's hull related, you'll find it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Club Archivist
Site Admin

From Archive: Shaft Alignment by Louie Demmer

Post by Club Archivist » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:23 pm

Hey guru guys & gals! This is Louie, I have finished the new bottom on my 49 CC 26ft cruiser. I have filled all screw holes, sanded, & am ready to make some other holes like temp. mounting the shaft struts, & then drilling the shaft holes. My dilema is, I replaced both of the large logs that the struts mount to inside, but I copied them hole for hole so the struts would be almost exact. I will drill the 6 holes for each strut from the inside, & mount the struts, then comes the tricky part, getting them perfectly straight, so I know my shaft holes are in the right spot. I dont want to screw this up, pretty big holes. I know that I have to be within .003 at the reverser flange, & 1/16" twist at the strut will give me inches at the other end,  is there an easy way to measure the straightnes of these shafts, is it just as simple as from the center of the keel out, & then deal with any small amount of misalignment with the engine wedges, am I just too spooked? Never having drilled a shaft hole before has me more than cautious, any ideas would be helpful, thanks in advance.

Louie Demmer   
Posted by Club Archivist
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This topic was reposted from Memberclicks archive
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~