Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Deck to hull connection.

Framing, planking and fairing. Repair, or reconstruction. If it's hull related, you'll find it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

jandhmarine

Deck to hull connection.

Post by jandhmarine » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:58 am

In the process of restoring our 66 foot Chris Craft. Hull and bottom are wooded. Some planks being replaced on the upper starboard side. Other than that in real good shape. Question: Some know-it-all at the yard said there is a strap around the upper hull sides just below the deck. We have removed all the rub rails. I see nothing either outside or inside at this location. My understanding is this strap is to hold the hull together at the upper most sides, keeping the hull from squeezing out (for lack of a better term) Is there this so called strap?

Thanks Jim

evansjw44

Mariner's Museum

Post by evansjw44 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:17 pm

I would expect you could find out by looking at the design folder in the Mariner's Museum in New Port News, VA. They have a lot of detail drawings based on hull number. Rather then ask them I would go to the museum and look at the hull number folder.
Jim Evans

Tom Kenny

Post by Tom Kenny » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:46 pm

Hello Jim. Over time I have completely disassembled my boat and then put it all back together from the keel up. The only thing that I ever found even remotely resembling a "strap" was two pieces of iron on each side of the aft deck at the end of the superstructure. The iron was bolted to the inside of the superstructure framing and then bolted through the deck. Other than that everything was normal wooden boat construction.

Can you post some pictures of your progress?
Tom Kenny
1961 55' Chris Craft Constellation
Independence - ftkltd.com

rpccc43

Post by rpccc43 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:44 pm

I can concur with Tom's observations on my 1965 43' Connie. In addition to those mine has them at deck edge secured to the top of the frames approximate with the forward edge of the cabin trunk and again about 1/2 between there and the bow. They under the covering boards so unless you pulled those you wouldn't see them from outside. Inside they would be covered by the ceiling liner.

Randman

evansjw44

Straps?

Post by evansjw44 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:56 pm

Well my boat is only 35' but I have what Is called a "sway brace" that stiffens the cabin side for the hard top. Probably not like a big boat. But the sway brace is bolted to the deck stringers with an sugsstantial brass angle plate.
Jim Evans

jandhmarine

Post by jandhmarine » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:59 pm

Thanks for your responses. More pictures soon.

Thanks Jim