Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Hull Repair Question

Framing, planking and fairing. Repair, or reconstruction. If it's hull related, you'll find it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

jbyers

Hull Repair Question

Post by jbyers » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:40 am

OK, before you all pile on, I KNOW this is not anywhere near the preferred method of patching, but I just want to get the boat in the water and through to the winter so I can assess the degree of work going forward.

There was an old patch in the hull just behind the driver's seat and parallel to the carpeted runner on the trailer that had been patched with fiberglass from underneath. I got to picking around on the inside of the boat and found the wood was rotted all the way through to the fiberglass patch. When I removed the rotten wood, all that was left in most areas was the thickness of the fiberglass patch and this was flexing when you push on it. (Not very big, maybe 6 inches at the widest and about 16-18 inches long)

I have layered in the full hull thickness with fiberglass resin and cloth, but I realize the compressive force from the water and especially the runner on the trailer when I stand in the boat will most likely push the entire patch loose. I have a piece of 3/4 inch hardwood I am going to put on top of the patch on the inside and screw to the surrounding hull, but I also will put two braces from the stringers on top of the piece of wood to further resist the patch getting pushed through to the inside.

My question is what I should use in addition to the screws to adhere the piece of wood to the fiberglass patch and surrounding areas of sound wood. It will preferably have a high tensile strength for obvious reasons. Could I just use fiberglass resin? Exterior Liquid Nails, or some other type of epoxy adhesive???

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.............

Greg Wallace

Re: Hull Repair Question

Post by Greg Wallace » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:43 am

Contrary to advice of legal council I will comment. My thoughts would be to cut out to good wood. Apply PLYWOOD backing with additional bracing as described and then precisely cut and install plywood Dutchman into void. Bed all judiciously with 3M 5200. Fair with an appropriate compound, seal and paint.

Additional precautionary advice:

Be sure all passengers wear an approved life preserver.

Consider investing in an EPIRB.

Be sure to have at least two working high volume bilge pumps with 5 gal bucket back up.

Secure a line to the lift ring with float equal to the depth of water to be navigated.

Secure signed liability waivers from all passengers.
Greg Wallace 23 Custom 22166 former Chris-Craft dealer Russells Point, Oh.

jbyers

Re: Hull Repair Question

Post by jbyers » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:54 am

I'm a thrill seeker Greg........ I agree with your advice though.