Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

engine stringers/keelsons replacement

Framing, planking and fairing. Repair, or reconstruction. If it's hull related, you'll find it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

prlentz

engine stringers/keelsons replacement

Post by prlentz » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:26 pm

When starting a complete restoration of my 15.5 ft 1940 utility in needing to replace bottom as well as keelsons . Looks like I will need to replace keel and keelsons , It is pretty much a grey boat/pattern boat that is complete and intact. I know this is a monster project but want to give it the old college try vs burning the old hull up as fire wood. I purchased the boat originally for the hardware and engine to help with my 1938 15.5 . Can't bring myself to give up on it after taking everything off it.I have Don Deneberg book on restoring runabouts but doesn't really explain about replacing keelsons. Appreciate any advice.

boat_art

Re: engine stringers/keelsons replacement

Post by boat_art » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:18 am

Big job....I commend you for trying!
My advice is to roll it over and remove the bottom. Then remove the keel first. Build and install it first, then any frames that need replacing. With the frames rigidly in place you can go at the stringers, one at a time.
I have made a major task seem simple, but in reality, it isnt so bad if you do one thing at a time. Tons of measurements and photos are critical. Speaking of that, we like seeing photos on here too!
Tom Sweeney
BoatArt
612 558 3022
http://www.boatartgallery.com
1956 CC Connie 47'
1959 Caulkins bartender
1965 Cheoy Lee Frisco Flyer
1953 Chris Craft Holiday
1941 Chris Craft Deluxe
Plus 8-12 customer boats at any time
God don't count the days spent messing around in wood boats.

boat_art

Post by boat_art » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:42 am

Remember how Johnny Cash built his car... "One Piece at a Time"
http://www.boatartgallery.com
1956 CC Connie 47'
1959 Caulkins bartender
1965 Cheoy Lee Frisco Flyer
1953 Chris Craft Holiday
1941 Chris Craft Deluxe
Plus 8-12 customer boats at any time
God don't count the days spent messing around in wood boats.

parroteyes

Post by parroteyes » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:08 am

Do not make the mistake I made!
After you turn it over put support blocks along each side at the top of each frame and level the boat the best you can. Then remove the bottom. Then level the stringers and relevel the edge supports.

Then replace the bottom frames as necessary ONE at a time!

Before moving to the next one fair the face that the bottom will contact using the adjacent frames as a guide.

If you remove adjacent frames with out fairing first, you will loose the line of the bottom.
Hull # 16-R-OX2 (March 1946)
Engine 1B #26564

That's me 1950 - already a CC lover!

prlentz

Post by prlentz » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:43 pm

Thanks for all the good suggestions. I really appreciate the experience and knowledge everyone has here. I was pretty sure to start with rolling it over and bracing . I did run some supports side to side inside to hold the shape before turning her over. I have some photos that I will try and post. Probably not going to do much until spring . Working on my other boat 1938 same model and length
as this boat but much better shape.