Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Fuel pump

This is a focused discussion area for information unique to Chris-Craft's Cavalier Division.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Mitch

Fuel pump

Post by Mitch » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:07 am

I have a 1956 cavalier and am having trouble with mechanical fuel pump. I can get fuel through by pumping lever on outside of pump but not from cam lever. I’m wondering about replacing with electric pump. Has anyone done this?

Captain Nemo

Re: Fuel pump

Post by Captain Nemo » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:25 pm

Hi, have you taken the pump off and looked at it? Might be something simple Like a pin falling out of the cam lever.
You can install an electric fuel pump but it is highly recommended that you put in a low oil pressure shutoff switch so the pump will shutdown if the engine quits due to fuel line break so the pump won't fill your bilge with gas.
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

Mitch

Post by Mitch » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:34 pm

I did take the pump off and did a rebuild kit. I think I got back together right, no instruction, my problem is I don’t know what I don’t know and no one around here to know about or works on CC. Do you know what the original pump was on a four cyclender CC motor.

Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:12 pm

Same pump went on all the six and four cylinder engines. www.classicboatconnection.com has rebuilt ones or the kits.
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.