Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

instrument lights

Although not a Division, this area is for information unique to Chris-Craft Constellations.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

keith colonna

instrument lights

Post by keith colonna » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:30 pm

Has anyone tried replacing their 12 volt instrument lights with an LED upgrade? Batteries Plus makes a bayonet style bulb the correct size, and is only .5 watt....lumens unknown.

tkhersom

Re: instrument lights

Post by tkhersom » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:59 am

Have not tried it, but it sure sounds like a great idea.

If you can, post a link to those bulbs for me.

Thanks! :D
Troy in ANE - Former President CCABC

1957 CC 21' Continental "Yorktown" (Mom's boat)
https://www.chris-craft.org/boats/22625/
1985 Formula 242LS "Gottago"
1991 Formula 36PC "Band Aids"

Life Is Too Short To Own An Ugly Boat

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:13 am

I am on that kick too.....but don't know about lumens and all that...but would like to put those low energy leds in my cabin lights....most seem to be the one contact type bulb though....where/what about the two contact 12 V type?

I have two of the single contact ones I bought off the net by mistake if anyone wants those I will donate.

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

drrot

Post by drrot » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:02 am

Jim Staib
www.finewoodboats.com

1947 Penn Yan 12' Cartopper WXH474611
1950 Chris-Craft 22' Sportsman U-22-1532
1957 Chris-Craft 26' Sea Skiff SK-26-515
1968 Century 17' Resorter FG-68-174

keith colonna

Post by keith colonna » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:04 pm

I am now reconsidering replacing my incandescent bulbs in my instrument panel with brighter LED bulbs. It may not be a good idea. The reason is that when I am running at night (which is rare, so I don't have a lot of hours in those conditions), I don't want excessive brightlight distraction from the instruments under my eyes which will distract from my night vision across the horizon. I will test this on a night cruise this winter. But I can recall several dead still nights when I experienced the phenomenon of reflections of land light onto the water surface called specular reflection resulting in a type of spatial disorientation....the shore lights mirrored onto the water in a harbor. I had to stop and verify my position before continuing. It was scarey. Another time a cruise ship crossed my path and I mistook it for the nearby buildings on shore.
I don't want my instrument lights compounding these problems.

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:15 pm

One way to solve this situation, since it happens infrequently, is to wear a headlamp with the red light option. A good headlamp like that is an important part of onboard equipment.

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

mfine

Post by mfine » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:34 pm

You could also put the LED instrument lights on a dimmer.

homeiste

Post by homeiste » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:10 am

Most simple LEDs are either on or off, and you can't dim them. Newer bulbs for household use are dimmable however, presumable do to special circuitry. It may not be as easy as a simple dimmer, but may be do-able just be aware.
1960 18' Continental
1970 Boston Whaler Sakonnet w/ Bearcat 55 outboard

bflaherty

Post by bflaherty » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:29 pm

I have the LED version of the 1156 single element bayonet bulb in our the anchor light on our '69 Ski Boat. It is amazingly bright! and I can leave it on all night and not worry about the battery not being to start the motor in the morning! It looks funky when not illuminated but who is really looking that closely at light bulbs?
Brian Flaherty
1969 Chris-Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "TUPPERWARE"

"You'll never discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

bflaherty

Post by bflaherty » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:35 pm

keith colonna wrote:I am now reconsidering replacing my incandescent bulbs in my instrument panel with brighter LED bulbs. It may not be a good idea. The reason is that when I am running at night (which is rare, so I don't have a lot of hours in those conditions), I don't want excessive brightlight distraction from the instruments under my eyes which will distract from my night vision across the horizon. I will test this on a night cruise this winter. But I can recall several dead still nights when I experienced the phenomenon of reflections of land light onto the water surface called specular reflection resulting in a type of spatial disorientation....the shore lights mirrored onto the water in a harbor. I had to stop and verify my position before continuing. It was scarey. Another time a cruise ship crossed my path and I mistook it for the nearby buildings on shore.
I don't want my instrument lights compounding these problems.
I never run our boat with the gauge lights on, just for this reason... Periodically, when I know the path is safe and clear, I will switch the lights on to check gauges then turn them off again to continue cruising. The LED bulbs are not all the same. You can get them with single LED nodes, or multiple. The more nodes, the brighter the light. Also, they now have different intensities available for you can get soft white, bright white, blue-white, even yellow!! I installed all red LEDs in my old vanagon dash.
Brian Flaherty
1969 Chris-Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "TUPPERWARE"

"You'll never discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:23 pm

I'm in the process of converting to LED's in our 45' Connie. One issue was the original 12VDC fixtures with screw in bulbs having edison bases. We found 12VDC edison bulbs for about $4 each including shipping. We have been happy with LED's from www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led-boat-lights/ They have a marine section and an RV section. Lots of options on bulb and base types.

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:49 am

I bought some 12V leds off the net.....paid no attention to the bases......needed two pin, got single.....
Will check that place mentioned in the previous post, thanks.

An issue not addressed here, which pertains to all sorts of cockpit and instrument lights, is dangerous reflections cause by the angle of the surrounding windshields/windows on the bridge deck. My Fairchild Scout has been difficult to learn because the windows are plumb/vertical......that creates weird reflections from fore and aft lights on shore....and some back play from onboard light sources. Really dangerous at night. I find I must train myself to look far ahead, beyond. What looks like a very close light ahead is often a reflection on the glass from a light behind you. Just sayin......

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30