Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

1956 30' Sea Skiff Dash Light Question

Your old Chris-Craft electrical system can be a challenge. If it runs on "juice" pose your questions and offer your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

PaulK

1956 30' Sea Skiff Dash Light Question

Post by PaulK » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:43 am

Hi All,

So I starting taking apart my dash the other night and have a question about the dash light, the one that illuminates the guages. So what I have is a single bulb for each set of guages that is set into a tin foil lined channel in the back of the dash. then the guage is has a clear red tape around a gap in the edge of the guage.
Picture of dash light.jpg
My question is....Does this do a good job? Seems a bit weak and like the light would be super heavy to one side of gauge. While I am restoring this in the spirit of the original boat I am not a slave to it. (especially when it comes to electrical) I was thinking about wrapping the gauges in an LED strip light. But I will not do that if this original worked good.

Also, Here is a pic of my dash....any one have pictures of theirs they would like to share of comments on mine. I would love some inspiration!
Picture of dash.jpg

THANKS!!

evansjw44

Re: 1956 30' Sea Skiff Dash Light Question

Post by evansjw44 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:09 am

You don't want the guage lights too bright. They will diminish your night vision. I have to turn mine off at night. They are too bright.
Jim Evans

Grant Stanfield

Post by Grant Stanfield » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:50 am

Paul-

Mine are quite dim; a warm glow should be enough to read them at night. LEDs do have some amazing applications on boats (like invisible ambient mood lighting in the cockpit or underwater lights), but I'd keep them away from your original dash.
Denby 53.JPG
Instruments aglow
ANN WARRICK at dusk.jpg
Showcase lighting on an amazing sportfisherman
Grant Stanfield

SK-22-169 "DENBY"
1954 Chris-Craft 22' Open Sea Skiff

PaulK

Post by PaulK » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:09 am

Good point! I will keep the original setup. Thanks!