Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

3 Starter Solnoid Posts

Your old Chris-Craft electrical system can be a challenge. If it runs on "juice" pose your questions and offer your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Miss Kris

3 Starter Solnoid Posts

Post by Miss Kris » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:24 pm

There are 3 starter solenoid posts. Assuming the 'big' one gets the battery cable, what do 'S' and 'R' posts get?
Ready to attempt a start after 5 years if we get this one.

mbigpops

Re: 3 Starter Solnoid Posts

Post by mbigpops » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:04 pm

I don't have the markings with me.

Here is a pic of my setup. The terminal in the back goes to the starter (hard copper connection), the one on top goes to the starter button (green wire) and the one in front goes to the battery (black wire). The red wire runs power to the dash.

Mark
Attachments
Engine wiring 3 (3).jpg
1953 CC Rocket Runabout "Rocket Man"

Bilge Rat

Re: 3 Starter Solnoid Posts

Post by Bilge Rat » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:10 am

Assuming from your previous posts that you are talking about the 283, 327 or 350 V8, which uses a more modern starter.

The S terminal is the solenoid, you send + 12 volts here to engage the starter.

The R terminal is a relay contact that is wired to bypass the ignition coil ballast resistor and apply full 12 volts + to the coil while cranking. Helps with cold starts by applying full voltage to the coil. Once the starter disengages, it allow the 12 volts to pass normally through the resistor thereby limiting current to the coil while running (if the ignition key is in the on position).

Not all engines used a ballast resistor, so if yours doesn't have one, you leave the R terminal unconnected. If you don't have a ballast resistor, make sure you are using an ignition coil that has an internal one. Those typically had a primary circuit resistance of around 3 - 3.5 ohms and are usually labeled as not requiring a resistor.
1966 Lyman Cruisette 25 foot "Serenity Now!"
1953 Chris Craft Sportsman 22 foot "Summerwind"