Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Iva Lite wiring

Your old Chris-Craft electrical system can be a challenge. If it runs on "juice" pose your questions and offer your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

jbyers

Iva Lite wiring

Post by jbyers » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:20 pm

I just purchased a late 40's iva lite. I want to replace the wire that goes from the terminal on the bulb to the positive power source but it won't seem to budge. I guess it's anchored somewhere within the base of the fixture however I can't get the base to unscrew at the large nut that connects the base to the upper part of the fixture.

Any suggestions?

Denis D

Re: Iva Lite wiring

Post by Denis D » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:38 pm

The wire on an Ivalite does not go directly from the bulb out the bottom of the fixture. If it did, it would twist when you rotate the light and eventually break. The wire from the power source goes to a ring contact and the wire from the bulb goes to a wiper that rides on the ring. Go to www.ivalite.com they have an exploded view of the light and you can see the parts.

Good luck,

Denis D
Denis

1948 17' deluxe runabout

jbyers

Post by jbyers » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:15 am

Dennis,

Is what you are referring to those two little round spring looking things in the recess inside of the hinge? I was afraid to take that completly loose for fear the springs would pop out and not go back in correctly...........

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:41 am

SEE! this is the kind of unique advice this site provides all the time. Where else could you get a fast and accurate answer to such a specific question? Really great to have such a well spring of info right at our fingertips.

Happy thanksgiving to all,

John in Va
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

Denis D

Post by Denis D » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:04 am

On the exploded view, the ring contact is labeled #50 and the wiper contact is labeled #27. You should print out the exploded view and document on it the sequence and location of each part as you disassemble it. As an alternative, if the wire looks OK right at the bottom of the light, you could solder on a length of new wire which would save disassembling it.

Denis D
Denis

1948 17' deluxe runabout

jbyers

Post by jbyers » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:27 pm

Thanks Dennis.........

gdetmer

Post by gdetmer » Thu May 06, 2021 7:02 pm

Does anyone have a exploded view of the wiring on a ivalite, I can’t seem to isolate the power from the frame of the light which means it’s a dead short. I’m sure there is a gasket that I’m not seeing .

Denis D

Post by Denis D » Fri May 07, 2021 9:31 am

Try again
Ivalite small.jpg
Denis

1948 17' deluxe runabout