Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

6 Volt Bilge Blower

Your old Chris-Craft electrical system can be a challenge. If it runs on "juice" pose your questions and offer your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

tkhersom

Re: 6 Volt Bilge Blower

Post by tkhersom » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:26 pm

I know with all I have going on I will not be converting this season.

Would love to keep her 6V so if you come across a source for a good 6V blower let me know.

Fortunately the Connie is already 12V, but she needs blowers too.
Troy in ANE - Former President CCABC

1957 CC 21' Continental "Yorktown" (Mom's boat)
https://www.chris-craft.org/boats/22625/
1985 Formula 242LS "Gottago"
1991 Formula 36PC "Band Aids"

Life Is Too Short To Own An Ugly Boat

Theurkauf

Re: 6 Volt Bilge Blower

Post by Theurkauf » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:11 pm

You might try a 6 volt to 12 volt converter and a 12 volt blower. I use a small unit rated to 5 amps to run a 12 volt bilge pump on a 6 volt system. I know Jamestown Distributors carries 12 volt blowers that will draw less than 3 amps. You can get converters on e-bay or from vintage car parts places for around $60. The converter I have is maybe 1 X 2 x 2 inches and I tucked it behind the dash and out of site. I've run the pump on straight 6 volt and with the converter, and the improvement is very noticeable. I particularly appreciated it this past weekend, when the pump kicked in as soon as I hit the dock. Turns out the hose clamp on the stuffing box was loose and the hose came off, probably as I reversed to dock. Water was pouring in at an alarming rate and the boot strip was underwater when I finally stuck the hose on. The bilge was pumped out in about 10 minutes. New heavy duty hose clamps go on this weekend!

Bill