Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Gas Tank Ground for 56 17 ft Sportsman

Your old Chris-Craft electrical system can be a challenge. If it runs on "juice" pose your questions and offer your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Jim Godlewski

Gas Tank Ground for 56 17 ft Sportsman

Post by Jim Godlewski » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:58 pm

Hello All,
After reading posts here, I think we are going with rubber fuel line instead of copper. Although I am considering copper for the fuel vent line. I plan on adding a fuel separating fuel filter as well.
I read the original copper fuel line served as a fuel tank ground. Removing this leaves the tank ungrounded. Right? How do I add a ground to the original fuel tank? Is this mandatory? I do not see any tabs or anything that would lend a wire attachment.
Thanks.
Jim

1956 17 Sportsman CC-17-2310
1930 Model 100 7152

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:32 pm

Jim,

The metal tank should be grounded. I've heard that filling can build up a static charge in the tank. If not grounded it could discharge through the filler nozzle and cause a spark.

The filler tubes on my Connie have a rubber extension up to the fuel inlet. There's a band clamp on the metal tubes with a wire connector attached and a ground wire connecting them together. That may work on your riser tube. Run the ground wire up to the grounding terminal on the engine block.

Al

evansjw44

Ground

Post by evansjw44 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:03 am

You absolutely need to ground the fuel tank. And yes, the copper fuel line was the ground conductor. New tanks have a ground tab welded on to them. You might use a #10 awg stranded conductor, bared and slipped under a stainless hose clamp around the fill pipe near the tank. A coating of connection grease would be good here as you have some dis-similar metals you want to keep dry. If you have a lip around the edge of the tank end seam you might find a clamping detail at a good electrical supply store that can be affixed to the lip to which you can connect the gound wire.
Jim Evans

Jackson Cove

Re: Gas Tank Ground for 56 17 ft Sportsman

Post by Jackson Cove » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:44 am

I was reading thru this post as am doing ssimilar to my 17ft CC Deluxe Utility. My tank is Al and was built in mid 90s. to be USCG compliant I had 1/4 turn valve in bottom of tank removed/patched. Also added a 1/2" MNPT fitting on top of tank adjacent to dip tube fitting. Dip tube has CG Approved 1/4 turn valve and anti syphon device. Using A1-15 Flex hose to engine. For vent I will use A2 flex to transom fitting. Yet to be installed. For ground I used a brass T in the tank vent fitting. One side of the T will go to vent. The other is plugged but I added a 1/4" dia threaded bronze bolt, soldered into the plug, to attach a ground wire.
Others were interested in the tank mounting. Rather than using a strap lagged into the tank support, I used AL straps bent as original and used SS turnbuckles fastened to teh engine stringers. Seems to be a more secure and functional method than original.
DSC00266.JPG
Attachments
DSC00272.JPG
DSC00271.JPG
Glenn Yale
7 Mayflower Lane
Salem, MA 01970