Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Post from Archive by Paul Lethbridge: Pertronix Ignition

Your old Chris-Craft electrical system can be a challenge. If it runs on "juice" pose your questions and offer your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Bill Basler

Post from Archive by Paul Lethbridge: Pertronix Ignition

Post by Bill Basler » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:03 pm

Dear CC list,

I wanted to share with you some information regarding pre-war electrics...

First up, yes braided/cotton covered wire is period for my 1939 CC including battery cables and ignition wires - Hurray (Thanks Don)! The more involved question was what about if your have a Pertronix electronic ignition?

The short story is that solid or stranded cotton/braided covered ignition wires create a lot more electromagnetic interference (RFI/EMI) than modern suppression wires. Also, be sure that the braided insulation is in good shape, frayed cotton braid represents a fire hazard from the ignition systems high voltage corona. You can use braided ignition plug & coil wires as follows:

i) You have ignition with mechanical points. Solid or stranded is good.
ii) You have electronic ignition with basic analog electronic switched points like Pertronix Ignitor I.
iii) Your braided wires are in good shape!

You should use modern suppression / resistive wires if any of the following apply:

i) Your do not give two hoots about originality.
ii) You have installed sensitive electronics instruments in the vicinity of the engine bay, or in close proximity to the ignition circuit.
iii) You have electronic ignition with microprocessor control, such as Pertronix Ignitor II.
iv) If you are using a high output coil that could potentially exceed the insulation rating of the antique style wire.

Of course the level of EMI/RFI created by your ignition circuit is very dependent upon your installation and will vary boat to boat. Overall I would encourage us to work towards minimizing EMC/RFI emissions.... in many situations radio & TV operation can be effected, representing a safety communications hazard in extreme cases. Maybe the best solution is to have two sets of plug wires available: Braided period items for those show days & modern suppression type wires for normal use! Periodic removal & cleaning of the cables to inspect for damaged insulation is a good habit to get into.

Anyway, I would like to thank Pertronics tech support & Carl Dudash at Retro Rockets for their help in my quest for info. here.

Kind regards,

Paul.

___
Dr. Paul Lethbridge
1939 CC 15'6" Deluxe Runabout

Tom Surface

Post by Tom Surface » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:40 pm

I called the folks at Road Island Wiring and was told they do not carry marine wire but will brade marine wire if we send them enough to do the job. I suppose that goes for plug wiring also. Does anyone know differently? Good luck all.
Tom Surface
1956 Chris Craft
Custom Runabout
"JACK the BEAR"
D17-1075, KLC