Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Replacing 6 volt bilge pump with 12 volt

Your old Chris-Craft electrical system can be a challenge. If it runs on "juice" pose your questions and offer your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

jmccredie

Replacing 6 volt bilge pump with 12 volt

Post by jmccredie » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:25 pm

Our 1954 Chris Craft Holiday has a 6 volt bilge pump that has recently died. This forum and several phone calls document that the only company that recently made such pumps moved to China and no longer makes these pumps. A year ago there were a few posts about using an inverter to go from the 6 volt system to 12 volts for a new pump. But I can't find reports about the success of this strategy. Another approach I'm considering is to add a second 12 volt battery to the boat to run a new 12 volt pump and then install a small solar charger to keep the 12 volt battery charged. Anyone have experience with this solution?

Ollon

Re: Replacing 6 volt bilge pump with 12 volt

Post by Ollon » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:19 pm

While looking for something else, I just noticed that Harpurs Marine has Lovett 6V bilge pumps in their online catalog. Check if they still have them. 310-830-0693

jmccredie

Post by jmccredie » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:14 pm

I spoke with them today after finding the listing in their online catalog. They no longer have any of the 6 volt systems in stock - all sold out. However, they are trying to restock and he will call me tomorrow with what he learns about restocking.

Regards, Jack

Theurkauf

Post by Theurkauf » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:36 pm

I've been using a 12 volt Johnson bilge pump on my 6 volt system with a 6 to 12 volt converter for over a year with no problems. The pump is reported to work on 6V, but is much stronger with the converter in place. The converter is small and was easily mounted behind the dash. The unit I have is rated to 5 amps and the 750 gph Johnson pump draws 2.5 amps. I picked it up on E-Bay for around $60. So far, I'm very happy.

Good luck,
Bill

jmccredie

Post by jmccredie » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:00 am

I purchased a new 12 volt 1,000 g/hour automatic bilge pump and added a second, independent 12 volt battery. To keep the battery charged we purchased a portable foldable solar cell that is attached to the boat cover with straps and it works very well. Not the least expensive solution, but one that is very reliable ad gives us great peace of mind :)