Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Rear light base

Your old Chris-Craft electrical system can be a challenge. If it runs on "juice" pose your questions and offer your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

SteveH

Rear light base

Post by SteveH » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:19 am

Here is a pick of the light base on my 22 sea skiff. I have power to the boat socket. Bulbs works, but no light. I took base off and have center conductivity, but none off the sides. Does the whole bottom pop out, or just the inner fixture. Took out what looked like a set screw. I have soaked it and used reasonable forced to bang it out, but thought I'd ask for suggestions here before I go hard. Its fairly grungy inside - spring motion of center pole is gone and wires seem to be hanging by a thread.

I could have sworn that I have seen what looked like the center piece with wires somewhere on a vendor site, but can't find it.

How do people address this fix.

Thanks, Steve
Attachments
light.jpg

1959 22' Sea Skiff (2263)
16 ft. Oughtred Penny Fee
17 ft. Devlin Oarling

JimF
Club Executive Team

Re: Rear light base

Post by JimF » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:13 am

I don't see the rest of the pole but assuming it is a typical stern pole, this is how it works. There is a little screw on the side at the very bottom. This should engage in a slot in the socket. You push the pole into the socket and then turn the pole about a quarter turn to lock it in. At the bottom of the socket is a screw head that is the positive connection to the pole. It must be insulated from the rest of the socket. The center pin of the pole makes contact with this screw by means of the spring loaded pin pressing against the screw head. The pole is grounded by the metal sleeve on the base of the pole making contact to the socket body, which must have a ground wire connected to the engine or other negative source. If you slide off the metal sleeve (there should be nothing holding it but friction if you have removed the set screw) on the base of the pole, you should see a hole where a wire enters from the center of the pole. This wire should be stripped so it makes contact with the sleeve.

To test the pole, touch a hot wire to the little button and a ground wire to the metal sleeve and the light should come on. Replacement spring loaded buttons are available from Finewoodboats or Classic Boat Connection. The metal sleeve is the same diameter as a sink drain pipe at the hardware store.

I would probably start over with new wires in the pole and new parts.
1930 Chris-Craft Model 100 20' "MOXIE"
1940 Chris-Craft Red and White 25' "Old Paint"
1946 Chris-Craft Sportsman 25' "CinCity"

SteveH

Re: Rear light base

Post by SteveH » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:07 pm

thanks excellent, thanks.

1959 22' Sea Skiff (2263)
16 ft. Oughtred Penny Fee
17 ft. Devlin Oarling