Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Forgot key, hot wired it, think I fried something

Your old Chris-Craft electrical system can be a challenge. If it runs on "juice" pose your questions and offer your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Horstuff

Forgot key, hot wired it, think I fried something

Post by Horstuff » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:43 am

Sigh.

First off, my wires to engine had been labeled by someone once upon a time, so I reference those labels below. Boat is a 1948, Hercules M. Converted to 12 V.

I ran a wire from positive of batt to one side of coil where wire from ignition is (label said Coil) and also one side of the block mounted on generator (do I have generator or alternator?) that had wire from ignition (label said Gen). There was also a wire labeled Start that seemed to be coming from ignition, and mounted to the solenoid (?) but I did nothing with that.

Pushed the start button, and it started and ran for all of a minute. Crap. Went back to engine, and the wire temporarily clipped to Gen was getting hot. I immediately cut and removed both wires, from the Gen and Coil. Left it at that. Done for the day.

Went back today WITH key, no jury rigging of wires, turned it over and it DID start for a brief moment. I know because the water splash from exhaust was all over dock. Tried to get it started again, and nothing but engine turning over. Wouldn't actually start and run.

I fear I fried some electrical component in hot wiring it.

Did I?

Bobby
1948 27' Super DeLuxe Enclosed Cruiser

Ollon

Re: Forgot key, hot wired it, think I fried something

Post by Ollon » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:09 pm

It sounds like you ruined either: 1. Points, or Electronic Module if you have electronic ignition. 2. Coil. In effect you did the same thing as if you left the key in the on position without the engine running. When you do that, power is being applied to these parts with no place for them to send it since the engine is not running and they burn up. For instance Petronix recommends you do not leave the key in the on position without the motor running for more than 30 seconds at any given time.

Horstuff

Post by Horstuff » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:29 pm

Thanks for the reply, I was beginning to think this was way more complicated than I thought originally, based on the lack of responses.

There is no electronic anything on this engine... it's all the original 1948 setup. So if I replace the coil and the points, I should be good to go?

If so, what about the fact that the wire I had running to the generator was getting hot? I cut it before it got too crazy, but it was getting warm.

JimF
Club Executive Team

Post by JimF » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:28 pm

cc_Wiring_Diagram_1952.jpg
The wire from your generator or, more specifically from the cutout switch mounted on the generator if you have a standard set up, goes to the back of the amp gauge on the + side. There should be a wire from the big terminal on the starter(same terminal as where the battery connects) that goes to the other terminal on the amp gauge. There should be a wire from the push button starter switch on the dash to the solenoid. I will try to post a diagram but, using the search feature on this site, you should be able to find one yourself.
1930 Chris-Craft Model 100 20' "MOXIE"
1940 Chris-Craft Red and White 25' "Old Paint"
1946 Chris-Craft Sportsman 25' "CinCity"

Ollon

Post by Ollon » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:53 pm

I would make sure everything is back the way it was and start with the coil. If the points look melted then replace them. If you still have problems replace the condenser.

Ollon

Post by Ollon » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:55 pm

Also, get an extra key and hide it somewhere on the boat.

Horstuff

Post by Horstuff » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:04 pm

Thanks to both of you very much.

Yes, a key will now live onboard at all times.

Greg Wallace

Post by Greg Wallace » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:26 am

If you have to hot wire again simply jump the terminals on the back side of the ignition (key) switch.
Greg Wallace 23 Custom 22166 former Chris-Craft dealer Russells Point, Oh.

sportsman

Post by sportsman » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:23 am

This begs another question from an earlier reply. I have a modern V-8 with electronic ignition and a distributor cap. I have to have the key in the "on" position to run the stereo, and leave it that way for hours while anchored. I also have a starter button. So far no problems I can see.

Am I sending power to the ignition and burning something up?

Kevin
'48 22 Sportsman

Ollon

Post by Ollon » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:00 pm

It depends. Your ignition may have an Accessory point before the On point. I have an ignition with an accessory spot in my Lancer so we can have the stereo on while anchored. One day the kids took the boat out and burnt the coil by having the key turned too far to the On point while swimming with stereo on and it only took about 30 minutes. Another option is to connect the stereo to the Anchor switch instead of the ignition.

jim g

Post by jim g » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:00 pm

It depends on the electronic ignition brand. Pertronix igniters can burn up with the ignition left on. If you want to leave the key on with a pertronix you need to buy the pretronix igniter 2.

Horstuff

Post by Horstuff » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:02 pm

Just so y'all know... twas the condenser! Cost me 8 bucks to fix.

Thank you all very much for the help. Even though it wasn't an expensive lesson, I have learned one all the same.