Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Ivalite Wiring

Your old Chris-Craft electrical system can be a challenge. If it runs on "juice" pose your questions and offer your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

SteveH

Ivalite Wiring

Post by SteveH » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:17 am

Greetings all,

Struggling with my Ivalite (14). I have never had this in service before. Does anyone know the electrical basics of this light? The bulb when tested independently works. I have one wire coming out bottom and the same coming up from stem into bulb case. I have continuity on that wire. I have seen the exploded diagram others have referenced here. My understanding is that one terminal from bulb goes to the case and the connection is then made to the screw on the bottom of the light. I have continuity there as well. After first test, I discovered continuity from orange wire to case - that I think is bad.

When testing. Orange to one terminal on battery, then another wire to screw at base. A few pics. Any thoughts?
iva top.jpg
ivabottom.jpg

1959 22' Sea Skiff (2263)
16 ft. Oughtred Penny Fee
17 ft. Devlin Oarling

mbigpops

Re: Ivalite Wiring

Post by mbigpops » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:20 am

Did you measure resistance between the wires to make sure you don't have a short ?
1953 CC Rocket Runabout "Rocket Man"

Greg Wallace

Post by Greg Wallace » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:29 am

should not have continuity between the red wire and case. I suspect wire has rubbed internally and is making contact somewhere inside. If you do have continuity between case and red wire then you should also have between red and black wires.
Black is grounded through case. Red is hot.
Greg Wallace 23 Custom 22166 former Chris-Craft dealer Russells Point, Oh.

SteveH

Post by SteveH » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:55 pm

Thanks,

Have misplaced digital voltmeter, but how exactly would I test for short? Is this with power applied? Sorry, electrics not my thing.

That orange wire does not travel right thru. Given that this is a 360 swival light, I've learned that there are two contact plates. Each half wire is connected to each plate. This way the light can spin indefinitely without twisting wires. Those plates and that part if the circuit must be isolated for this to work. I may gingerly split the stem to see what can be seen.

Steve

17 ft. Devlin Oarling

Greg Wallace

Post by Greg Wallace » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:33 am

For our purposes we are looking for a short or unwanted connection (continuity) between the ground (black) circuit and the hot (orange) circuit. Your meter will tell you this. You want to end up with an open circuit (no continuity) between the hot and ground. If you show continuity then there is a short. No need for power on, your meter is all you need.

The case or housing of the light carries the ground circuit so it appears that somewhere there is a contact with the hot circuit and you may be on the right track looking at the swivel connection. Make sure you check for intermittent contact on the full 360 swivel.

I have never had the pleasure of taking an Iva apart but understand they can be very tricky so make sure you pay close attention as you take apart.

Good luck
Greg Wallace 23 Custom 22166 former Chris-Craft dealer Russells Point, Oh.

SteveH

Post by SteveH » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:19 pm

Thanks Greg,

Electrical tips helpful. Maybe I'll grab a bowl of Wheaties and jump in. Sure does look complex.

Steve

17 ft. Devlin Oarling

mbigpops

Post by mbigpops » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:10 pm

Just to clarify "continuity" with the meter on ohms a reading of zero or close to zero would mean continuity. You would see the same thing if you touched the probes together.

Mark
1953 CC Rocket Runabout "Rocket Man"