Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Cruiser Horns

Your old Chris-Craft electrical system can be a challenge. If it runs on "juice" pose your questions and offer your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

evansjw44

Cruiser Horns

Post by evansjw44 » Fri May 08, 2015 6:11 pm

Perhaps this post is directed more to the cruiser community but that’s where I reside. How can horns be such a problem? I replaced the horns on my Corinthian Sea Skiff a few years ago after getting tired of “tuning” them every year and getting frustrated with being only able to achieve a dull minor seventh cord sound. The new all stainless steel replacements didn’t last long as they collected water from cruising spray and wind driven rain. Instead of a loud cord I would get a gargling honk until the water that collected in the trumpet bowl dissipated. The solution was to drill small drain holes at the bottom on the disk to let the water out. But they didn’t last ;long before they too needed tuning and then honked no more. Next try was again all stainless steel suitable for boats or trucks. They had a different design bowl where the diaphragm joined the trumpet. I put drain holes in them too. They didn’t make it through all of last season before they ceased to honk, apparantly from the failure of an electrical resonating capacitor.

So what is a brand of reliable horns? I’m tired of modifying my cabin top mounting for different models of horns.
Jim Evans

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Re: Cruiser Horns

Post by Al Benton » Fri May 08, 2015 7:43 pm

Jim, ever thought of trying a set of air horns and a small compressor?
Al
Member - Executive Team

boat_art

Post by boat_art » Fri May 08, 2015 9:48 pm

Buy a trombone....it worked for Stan and Ollie
saps02.jpg
saps02.jpg (72.03 KiB) Viewed 1178 times
http://www.boatartgallery.com
1956 CC Connie 47'
1959 Caulkins bartender
1965 Cheoy Lee Frisco Flyer
1953 Chris Craft Holiday
1941 Chris Craft Deluxe
Plus 8-12 customer boats at any time
God don't count the days spent messing around in wood boats.

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Sat May 09, 2015 4:19 am

Jim, I suffer with horn problems as we'll. I've been using a disposable horn in a can. It's not the best, although it does prevent me from blowing my own horn to much. Trouble is I'm never sure when it will be my last blast??? If you find a good one, keep us posted.

evansjw44

Post by evansjw44 » Sat May 09, 2015 8:22 am

I have considered air horns. That would mean dropping the cabin headliner. But, part of the headliner is down to facilitate a cabin top repair so I more interested. Trouble is, that are like the electric horns in that can collect water.
Jim Evans

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Sat May 09, 2015 9:01 am

Jim, it is clearly a hit or miss thing for me...I have two sets of previous horns off my cruiser hanging here In the shop...suffer same fate as your's. Then I got yet another set and even in the salt environment they have lasted for years now.
Of course bragging on them here will guarantee they will fail next week.

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

evansjw44

Post by evansjw44 » Sat May 09, 2015 5:52 pm

So what brand? Where did you get them?
Jim Evans

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Sun May 10, 2015 1:51 pm

Jim,

I KNEW you were going to ask that....and I just spent the night on the boat and forgot....will check.....I did notice that I oriented them in a downward way so that salt wash/spray runs out???

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

evansjw44

Post by evansjw44 » Fri May 29, 2015 9:08 am

I bought a set of Ongaro horns. They were expensive but have a warrenty. They also claim to have a water mitigating design. Looking at where the trumpet joins the diaphram, there is a small hole in the bottom to let water drain out. We'll see how well that works. Ive made that mod to my other horns with only moderate sucess.
Jim Evans