Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Generator Removal

Your old Chris-Craft electrical system can be a challenge. If it runs on "juice" pose your questions and offer your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

jbyers

Generator Removal

Post by jbyers » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:08 pm

I need to change my belt and check the generator to see it it's operating properly. I thought I remembered seeing a thread about how to remove the nut that holds the pulley on, but I can't find it.

Any suggestions?

Howard Lehman

Re: Generator Removal

Post by Howard Lehman » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:21 am

I just removed a generator yesterday on a K engine in a '47 DeLuxe Runabout. I was mindful that the pulley can be easily damaged, so any holding or gripping of that could present bigger problems. I found an open end wrench (socket works too) that is the correct size for the nut, and used a channel wrench to squeeze the belt together between the pulley and the flywheel. While squeezing the belt together just enough to prevent the pulley from moving, I was able to loosen the nut. Some penetrating oil around the nut can make this a little easier. When the pulley nut is loose, the bolts holding the generator to the flywheel housing can be loosened as well, easing the tension of the belt, the pulley nut can be removed, and the pulley can be taken off, followed by the removal of the bolts. There may be other and better ways, but this technique worked for me on the K engine. Howard

jbyers

Post by jbyers » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:29 am

Good idea Howard. I will try that. My belt is pretty fried. I just hope it holds up to the technique. I've already doused the nut with Blaster, so hopefully this will do the trick. I'll let you know.

jbyers

Post by jbyers » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:35 pm

A big yell out to Howard for his bolt removal method. It worked like a charm. And then I used Jim G's method to get the pulley off...... loosened the generator bolts and then tapped the shaft from the pulley side. It took awhile, but it came off with no damage to the threads..........

Thanks guys