Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

New wires

Your old Chris-Craft electrical system can be a challenge. If it runs on "juice" pose your questions and offer your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Sparkit

New wires

Post by Sparkit » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:08 pm

I would like to re-wire my 12volt system. Is there a wire diagram source? In addition, I need to know the correct guage to use for each application. Any help would be great.

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:44 pm

Paul, this is a fairly open ended question for anyone to reply to. From past posts, you have a '51 Riveriera which will have a hull number. Contact The Mariners' Museum and request research on your boat. I think there's a good chance they will have wiring diagrams for it. There's a link to the Museum's web site on the CCABC "Links" page.

I don't think I would attempt rewiring a boat without some basic knowledge of DC circuits and marine wiring. It's not that working around 12 volt DC circuits is all that dangerous. The concerns are installing a system that is safe after the work is done. Wire size, circuit protection, grounding, corrosion and a whole list of other things in DC circuits can lead to unpleasent outcomes if not installed properly.

Al