Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Petronix Coil Failure?

Your old Chris-Craft electrical system can be a challenge. If it runs on "juice" pose your questions and offer your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

joanroy

Petronix Coil Failure?

Post by joanroy » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:39 pm

I know this has been discussed before, but I'm having throttle back stall problems with my 350s. They always restart after waiting a while. Both engines have Pertronixs distributors and Flame Thrower coils. Is it possible for a coil to fail intermittently when hot and then work again after cooling off?

jim g

Re: Petronix Coil Failure?

Post by jim g » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:04 pm

Yes. Try Napa IC14.

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:09 pm

Thanks Jim.

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:06 am

joanroy wrote: Is it possible for a coil to fail intermittently when hot and then work again after cooling off?
This is the exact symptoms for an open in a coil. As the coil heats up it expands. If there is an open somewhere in the coil wire the expansion will make the open stretch wider apart eventually preventing current flow. As the coil cools the wire will come closer together and work again for a little while, until it heats up. Eventually the arcing across the gap will burn the wire out and it will not work at all.

I'm with Jim on the fix. :D
Troy in ANE - Former President CCABC

1957 CC 21' Continental "Yorktown" (Mom's boat)
https://www.chris-craft.org/boats/22625/
1985 Formula 242LS "Gottago"
1991 Formula 36PC "Band Aids"

Life Is Too Short To Own An Ugly Boat

Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:31 am

It occurred to me that you have twin screws. It would seem to me odd that you would develop two bad coils at the same time, stranger things have happened though.
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:15 am

I am not as up on those coils as Troy is....but if those have external resistors....start with those...they fail a lot and give same symptoms.

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

Greg Wallace

Post by Greg Wallace » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:08 am

Have you confirmed ignition failure? Symptoms as described are also classic vapor lock. Winter blend fuels that are left over and being dumped by suppliers along with ethanol, can create an issue where not previously experienced.
Greg Wallace 23 Custom 22166 former Chris-Craft dealer Russells Point, Oh.

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:57 am

At first I thought it was a fuel problem because the stalling happened to both engines ten or fifteen minutes apart. Fuels common to both engines and it would be an odd coincidence for both engines to have a spark problem. End of last season one engine wouldn't start at all so we had to run on one over to the ramp for the haul. We checked for spark and it was dead. Got her on the hard and asked the yard mechanic to check it out and the dead engine started right up for him. Both engines started and ran fine for yesterday's launch. The problem is definitely intermittent. I'm going to change out the coils with the Napa IC 14's and
see what happens. I thought a coil either worked or it didn't. Guess they can be kinda finicky.