Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

59 chris craft ski boat repower

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

vancev

59 chris craft ski boat repower

Post by vancev » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:31 pm

I have a 1959 chris craft ski boat a Mahogany plank boat. It has the original flywheel forward 283, I operate it at high elevations above 5000ft I would like it to have more hp to pull skiers. I have already changed to a acme prop which helped a little. I understand that converting to a 350 may be the easiest way to go, I have also considered going with a complete new fuel injected set up which would provide reliability as well as easy starting and so on, it looks like that would give me 325 hp. wanting to know how much hp this boat could handle before just waisting power and money. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks

mfine

Re: 59 chris craft ski boat repower

Post by mfine » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:29 am

Converting to a 350 is easy as all the accessories will fit if you get the correct block. Add and eddlebrock manifold, larger valve heads, more agressive cam and you should get 290-300+ hp (at sea level). Rather than HP though, for your use, you want to focus on low end and midrange torque as max power at 4800 rpm is not relevant to pulling skiers up. If you choose the manifold and cam for torque you will significantly improve the acceleration and pulling ability, but don't expect dramatic gains in top speed. Add an HEI or similar electronic ignition and electric fuel pump and it will start as easy as a modern fuel injected motor.

As for handling the power, unless you have a turbo or supercharger, you lose power with altitude. These boats handle a 350 at low altitude so I wouldn't worry about over powering in your situation.

cc-woodboats

Post by cc-woodboats » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:08 am

if you do the 350 conversion I would add an engine oil cooler.
the 350 generates a lot more heat than the 283 and the oil gets very hot.
I have run this conversion in a ski boat and after 6 to8 miles of running the oil pressure would drop to 10 psi.
would stop and let the engine idle for 10 min and the pressure would come back up.
added an oil cooler and the problem went away.

hill160881

Post by hill160881 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:25 am

What's your budget?

vancev

Post by vancev » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:34 pm

I have decided on a new complete 350, I have also removed my 283 as well as all the flooring, the hull of the boat appears to be in pretty good shape. According to the paperwork I received on the boat the last time it had anything major done to it was the early 2000 so just wondering as long as everything is exposed if it would be recomended to put another coat of finish on the interior lower potion of the hull, ribs engine stringers etc? I am also wanting to know if I should go with a bigger prop shaft( currently one inch ) the engine is rated at 325hp?
Thanks in advance

bflaherty

Post by bflaherty » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:11 pm

I wouldn't recommend going to a larger shaft as that would require bottom modifications, and new strut. I would suggest going with a new stainless steel shaft that can easily handle the power of any small block.
Brian Flaherty
1969 Chris-Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "TUPPERWARE"

"You'll never discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

jim g

Post by jim g » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:56 pm

vancev wrote:I have decided on a new complete 350, I have also removed my 283 as well as all the flooring, the hull of the boat appears to be in pretty good shape. According to the paperwork I received on the boat the last time it had anything major done to it was the early 2000 so just wondering as long as everything is exposed if it would be recomended to put another coat of finish on the interior lower potion of the hull, ribs engine stringers etc? I am also wanting to know if I should go with a bigger prop shaft( currently one inch ) the engine is rated at 325hp?
Thanks in advance
A 1" stainless steel shaft will handle the power you putting in. I would recommend if you get a new one. That you get a new coupler and have the prop shop fit and face the coupler to the shaft.