Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

KFL Engine rebuild

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

jlgsail

KFL Engine rebuild

Post by jlgsail » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:30 pm

Cannot find any info on rebuilding a kfl engine. Does anyone have any suggestions on a book/Magazine/ etc that can help me . Need help in removing pistons and valves as three of the valves are completely stuck but all the pistons move. Should pistons be rebored and replaced replace(pistons/valves etc.) and how to find a good machine shop and what should be done.I was told to first have the engine block checked fort any cracks etc. Also open to anyone who might want help me thru this project. Appreciate all feedback. Thank you.

Ed Andrews

Re: KFL Engine rebuild

Post by Ed Andrews » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:04 am

not sure where you're located but a call to Dave would answer all your questions.
http://www.vannessengineering.com/
1951 Chris Craft Holiday
1952 12' Kit Boat w/Johnson 15HP engine

1953 Chris Craft Commander 10HP Outboard

mbigpops

Post by mbigpops » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:23 am

You have to be the judge of your own engine rebuild capability in the end. I can share with you my experience on my KL.

I broke down the engine myself removing all the ancillary items and found a local machine shop with an excellent reputation for engine rebuilds. He agreed to take on the block rebuild with parts from Jim Staib (www.finewoodboats.com) while I had the ancillary items reworked by the "experts" or locally recommended sources.

To make a long story short in the end everything worked out great but there were some bumps in the road along the way and there are unique things about these engines and transmissions that your local machine shop may not know and could prove to be an issue in the end. I don't know that they are written down anywhere so if you go the local route then at least find someone knowledgeable to keep you honest.

Mark
1953 CC Rocket Runabout "Rocket Man"

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:57 pm

I had a similar situation to Marks on the first Chris Craft KLC engine I rebuilt. Not sure where you're located, but for the next one I had rebuilt (a 327 Graymarine) I used Drakes Engines.

http://www.drakeengines.com/

Extremely knowledgeable on old marine engines and the unique nuances these old girls require to provide years of additional service. Nice people to work with too.
1966 Lyman Cruisette 25 foot "Serenity Now!"
1953 Chris Craft Sportsman 22 foot "Summerwind"