Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Outboard advice

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

jfrprops

Outboard advice

Post by jfrprops » Wed May 24, 2017 8:09 pm

Ok, if anyone is alive out there in buzz land and not on fakebook....I am needing advice.
Got a Whirlwind from Tavares field of dreams, super one owner classic...BUT...this 1961 16 footer has on it a 1972 Johnson 50 hp motor....now I hate old outboards but most of that hate came from fooling with knucklebusters of the 50's and 60's era...maybe this one is better? Looks cherry! but.....an old motor.
I like to repower.....as I am not into "period power" but prefer "power PERIOD"....the new stuff.

Sooo: I need a 15 inch shaft and 50 hp....tough find in any brand of new motor....and the weight needs to be around 200lbs....most of the 4 strokes are way heavier.....though I would be find with a new direct injection model (2 stroke) of the same hp and shaft length etc.

What do think? I could put a little $ into redoing the old Johnson (leave that alone.....).....or spring for the new one if I can get one. (amateur net research indicates some 40 hps new out there...not much above that???

Also....I think a 50 in 1972 is more bad ass than any 50 today....agree? A big plus for the old motor is its size and fit on the boat...perfect...I swear the powerhead is smaller than almost any engine rated 50 then or now...and that is nice...

comments please.

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

Captain Nemo

Re: Outboard advice

Post by Captain Nemo » Wed May 24, 2017 9:28 pm

I too am not a fan of outboards either. I believe with the old motors the rated HP was at the propeller, as the new ones are at the motor output shaft, if I am not mistaken. I would probably play with the Johnson :lol: , if it runs decent.
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Thu May 25, 2017 8:21 am

I used to tolerate the old 50's outboards when I first started in the wood boat thing but also grew tired of the nuances of keeping these old girls happy. The one thing really moved me to concentrate on inboards only was the excessive oil pollution these outboards emitted into the water and air. Seeing gobs of fuel/oil and the sheen on the water and blue fumes made me sick to realize I was a major polluter of the environment just to go boating. High oil/gas ratios in these old 2 cycles. I know old inboards pollute too, but a well tuned and maintained inboard is still a more friendly approach. No oil or at least very little in the exhaust there.

If it were me in your situation, I would consider a modern 4 cycle outboard. Less pollution and more reliable. I recall seeing someone that made some custom cowls to disguise the new motor to look vintage.
1966 Lyman Cruisette 25 foot "Serenity Now!"
1953 Chris Craft Sportsman 22 foot "Summerwind"

Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo » Thu May 25, 2017 4:18 pm

The Bilge Rat makes a good point, I didn't think about the environmental impact. Yeah, go w/ a four cycle unit.
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Thu May 25, 2017 6:37 pm

I'd at least give the old Johnson a chance. Just go boating and try it out. How bout some glamor shots of your new craft?

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Fri May 26, 2017 9:43 am

well as always good advice from good friends and yes the environmental is a consideration for sure...along with frustration levels and dependability etc.

I am meeting a fellow today and hoping to sell this caring person a bargain whirlwind....my 16 foot restored dual cockpit from 1954..trailer, new age merc and etc..if he buys it....I will be able to generate only about 60% of the price of a new Tohatsu 50 hp 4 stroke....15inch shaft...but that would be a good engine for this latest whirlwind acquisition....and as joanroy request...I will then post some pics.

Clearly the old motors have the look and the kick....but ??? I am old and so are they...bad combo.

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

island time

Post by island time » Sat May 27, 2017 7:11 am

Hi John,
Congrats on your new toy.
I have to agree not just for the sake of agreement, I don't like outboards either but...
this is the opinion program right?
With what I know of outboards through real life experience if it were me in this situation I would re-power with new technology.
Backing up my feelings is an article in a recent issue of Boating Magazine. The article dealt with the question of whether to rebuild or re-power and it made compelling arguments for both sides. I know you may not need to rebuild pending the condition of the motor that came with the boat but old motors always come with old quirks and it would just be nice to be able to turn the key and know it's going to start and run without any issues. Now I'm not a tree hugger but I do have to agree that less smoke and oil is a good thing for everyone so I would lean toward a 4-stroke but you have a weight restriction so you may not have that option. Today's 2-strokes are technological marvels and are probably as efficient and clean as their 4-stroke counterparts so really whichever you choose will be the correct choice.
Another thing about new outboards, their electronic controls are way more fun than the old "push the key in for choke" way of doing things, you can tell I'm attracted to shiny objects! LOL.
Still the opinion program right? I know this is going to kick a hornet's nest but I can't condone the purchase of foreign products and I know that everything now is "global" sourced parts etc. but If I were buying new I would go with the American name on my purchase. I was never a Mercury fan but arguably they make one of the finest motors on the water, Evinrude has been in my history and they have always treated me well but the new ones are light years ahead of the past.
You my friend have a decision to make that will require some thought.
Please keep us up to date with your progress in making decisions.

Craig Wilson
Craig Wilson
Churchville, NY
Alexandria Bay, NY

1968 23' Chris Craft lancer
1971 31' Revelcraft
1988 25' Fourwinns
1972 19' Chris Craft Lancer
1957 18' Chris Craft Sea Skiff
1958 18' Chris Craft Sea Skiff
1968 23' Chris Craft Commander

George Emmanuel

Post by George Emmanuel » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:06 pm

I own a 1948 13' Lyman powered by a 1948 Evinrude Speedifour 33.4hp. The engine is a rope start, direct drive engine. You have to handle the boat as if it were still the year 1948. You plan your exit from the dock and you plan your arrival.

I have done the Mt. Dora to Silver Springs run twice. It is approximately a 30 mile run with an hour and a half of idle time in the Silver River. Like anything else from the older eras it requires maintenance. If the engine is properly maintained it will perform as it originally was intended. The problem is many engines from the 60's through the eighties and even beyond have had poor maintenance. They fell into the hands of folks who could not afford a newer replacement and they scrimped on maintenance. If you are a partial gearhead and enjoy maintaining your equipment the engine you have will be a reliable engine provided it was not abused in its earlier life and provided you will do what is necessary to get it in good running order.

There was an early 50's Lyman 15' with a new Honda next to my Lyman at the Sunnyland show a couple of years ago. It looked out of place for a vintage boat show. But if using your boat as an everyday runner and not wishing to have it displayed, I'd go with a modern engine.

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:06 am

Yes, George...good points and right in line with my feelings. I have ordered a 50 hp short shaft (hard to find in other brands) Tohatsu 4 cycle...BUT that 50 HP Johnson I removed has had excellent maint. and looks it....anyone want to buy it...???

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30